Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello guys,

I am currently developing a small database.
I need advice on several points and possibly code (if readily available) - I wouldn't want to invest too much time in this.
1. I need a bundle of code to force the user to take the the easiest way - to force him/her to use the provided menu (instead of starting to enter in tables, forms, etc. w/o control). It does not need to be highly secure, password protected etc. - just maybe hide as many of the interface elements like ribbon and the search bar (in Navigation Pane), prevent changes to the Navigation Pane for example - if more is necessary I can't think of it at the moment.

2. I intend to use the navigation pane as main interface and menu. Is this a good idea or a bad one?
3. Is there a way a database file to be opened as read-only? How good is the /ro command line switch?
To explain the situation (I have a lot of worries about this approach but it is not my choice):
The guy is using google drive to share the db file and to make it available to several people. So someone will open it from the local Google drive folder, work in it, then close it. Then Google drive will sync it. Then someone else will open it, look at some data and close it. Apart from the data possibly being incomplete, the mess can become total IMO. You cannot control which file will be synced last.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
I can't figure why I didn't get a single Reply. Didn't I explain clearly? I guess not. :)
However - I decided to share my solution.
- rename the file to *.accdr ( to force emulation of runtime)
- created a custom ribbon tab with all necessary tools for using the database
- Haven't yet decided what to do about the google drive sync - maybe I will just warn them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back