Limitation of Multi-user/shared workbooks? Is Access Better?

bw314

Hi,

I would like to create an invoice system for 5 users to create quotes and invoices, and store them in a searchable database/table. Previously I have only created single user spreadsheets.

I understand that an excel workbook can be shared. What are the limitations of this? ie. How many users? , ...

Is it reasonable to have one xls file as the shared "database" and a second "entry form" spreadsheet that each user opens individually?

Or is it simply better to use MS Access completely? MS access DB with Excel form? Why would one choose access over excel? and vice versa.

Thanks,

Brian

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
Re: Limitation of Multi-user/shared workbooks? Is Access Bet

Welcome to the Board!

see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130560&Product=xlw2K for Microsoft's explanation of Shared Workbook limitations.

As for using Access, it's a great program as well and would do what you wanted with one major limitation: your users would need to have the program as well. It's generally not bundled with most standard Office Suites, whereas Excel is. Unless you want to build a stand-alone VB interface.

You could probably easily build a User Form that returned data to a "database". With only 5 users it's doubtful that you'd exceed Excel's row limitations to quickly. I have a Purchase REquisition system that we use here with a lot of success. I'd be happy to send you a copy, just PM me your e-mail address.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back