line chart

tmnorge

I have a line chart, with two series.

When i use two axis, by double clicking on one serie, then on axis label, choosing Plot series in : "Secondary Axis"

My chart looks like :

2axis.JPG

But now, if i choose (for the FF serie) "Primary Axis", i get :

1axis.JPG

You can see that the data has been fitted to the ED serie, but the left axis does not correspond to the values of FF serie.
My question is : what is the transformation of data used to fit the other serie ? I just checked that it is not a linear rescalling, so i really don't know what Excel did compute to have such a good fitting of data (actually I want to use the FF serie to predict the ED one, so it could be of very great help to find the answer...)

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
suggestion from top of the head

if you make FF series as primary axis change the other seris ED to secondary axis and see.

Upvote 0
By default XL does not make any kind of transformation based on the axis you selected.

There is something more going on here. Before you moved FF to the secondary axis, what did the chart look like? Also, are you sure that in the 2nd image you have the same 2 series? It doesn't look like that. In the 1st image the first 2 changes in FF are increases. In the 2nd, the initial change is a drop.

{snip}You can see that the data has been fitted to the ED serie, but the left axis does not correspond to the values of FF serie.
My question is : what is the transformation of data used to fit the other serie ? I just checked that it is not a linear rescalling, so i really don't know what Excel did compute to have such a good fitting of data (actually I want to use the FF serie to predict the ED one, so it could be of very great help to find the answer...)

Upvote 0
Yes, you're right it happens that it is not the same two series : after many hours of investigation, i saw that the line chart i used was "stacked line". So Excel was addind the two series in "FF". Because FF was lower than ED, the sum was very near from ED, that's why i thought Excel was transforming data....

Thank you !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back