line of best fit, linear regression, angle of line of best fit - VBA

mhwolog

Hello,I would greatly appreciate some help with this problem. I am using excel 2003, windows 7.I have been trying to work out which worksheet or vba function to use to calculate the following - but I just can't get the right answer. There are multiple facets to the vba sub I am trying to write. Vba is ideal so that I can use the values for other purposes. For starters, let's say I have 3 points which have an R value close to 1/line quite closely:x yweek 75 (date 14/2/1992) 6.81week 83 (date 10/4/1992) 6.95week 95 (date 3/7/1992) 7.08I can use either the week number or the date as the x-axis.I would like to work out the line of best fit which should pass through the 1st point. Then I want to work out the slope & intercept of the line of best fit, and the angle of the slope. As far as I can tell from manually plotting the data, the angle should be about 17.8 degrees {I keep getting angle values like 1 degree, 1.8 degrees and 4 degrees}.I have tried using the functions slope, linest, intercept, degrees(ATAN(slope) but I don't seem to get the correct angle. And I'm not sure whether I need to make the first x and/or y equal zero for the formulae to work. And I know that with these formulae, I am currently not getting the line of best fit to pass through the first point.----Overall what I am trying to achieve is to automate drawing a trend line on a stock price chart, I have the following data:x yweek 75 (date 14/2/1992) 6.81week 80 (date 20/3/1992) 7.2week 83 (date 10/4/1992) 6.95week 88 (date 15/5/1992) 7.52week 95 (date 3/7/1992) 7.08week 98 (date 24/7/1992) 7.02I want to use the 1st point as my reference/anchor point for lines of best fit. (But the reference point can be 1-2% (y-axis) lower than the 1st point, if this creates a better line of fit).Starting with the first three points, I would calculate a line of best fit going through the first point. If the R value is to far away from 1 (i.e. the points do not line up as close to possible in a straight line) then I would only keep the either the 2nd or third point (whichever is below the line of best fit) and I would retest for a line of best fit for points 1, 3, and 4. This process would repeat until the R value is close to 1.Up to here would be a great starting point if anyone can help.Just for argument's sake (if anyone really likes math/vba); the additional rules for this line of best fit would be:-If there is no acceptable line of best fit found with 3 points, it is possible to draw a line connecting the 1st and second points, and then use the second point as the reference/anchor point - to search from this point forward for 3 points that have a good line of fit (usually used in cases where the future line of best fit/stock prices, have started to move in a steeper angle up the y-axis. - This acceleration can/should occur for future points, even after an initial 3 point line of best fit is established. The new reference/anchor point in this case would be the 3rd of the initial 3 points.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hello,
I would greatly appreciate some help with this problem. I am using excel 2003, windows 7.
I have been trying to work out which worksheet or vba function to use to calculate the following - but I just can't get the right answer. There are multiple facets to the vba sub I am trying to write. Vba is ideal so that I can use the values for other purposes. For starters, let's say I have 3 points which have an R value close to 1/line quite closely:

x y
week 75 (date 14/2/1992) 6.81
week 83 (date 10/4/1992) 6.95
week 95 (date 3/7/1992) 7.08

I can use either the week number or the date as the x-axis.I would like to work out the line of best fit which should pass through the 1st point. Then I want to work out the slope & intercept of the line of best fit, and the angle of the slope. As far as I can tell from manually plotting the data, the angle should be about 17.8 degrees {I keep getting angle values like 1 degree, 1.8 degrees and 4 degrees}.I have tried using the functions slope, linest, intercept, degrees(ATAN(slope) but I don't seem to get the correct angle. And I'm not sure whether I need to make the first x and/or y equal zero for the formulae to work. And I know that with these formulae, I am currently not getting the line of best fit to pass through the first point.

----

Overall what I am trying to achieve is to automate drawing a trend line on a stock price chart, I have the following data:

x y
week 75 (date 14/2/1992) 6.81
week 80 (date 20/3/1992) 7.2
week 83 (date 10/4/1992) 6.95
week 88 (date 15/5/1992) 7.52
week 95 (date 3/7/1992) 7.08
week 98 (date 24/7/1992) 7.02

I want to use the 1st point as my reference/anchor point for lines of best fit. (But the reference point can be 1-2% (y-axis) lower than the 1st point, if this creates a better line of fit).
Starting with the first three points, I would calculate a line of best fit going through the first point. If the R value is to far away from 1 (i.e. the points do not line up as close to possible in a straight line) then I would only keep the either the 2nd or third point (whichever is below the line of best fit) and I would retest for a line of best fit for points 1, 3, and 4. This process would repeat until the R value is close to 1.

Up to here would be a great starting point if anyone can help.
Just for argument's sake (if anyone really likes math/vba); the additional rules for this line of best fit would be:
-If there is no acceptable line of best fit found with 3 points, it is possible to draw a line connecting the 1st and second points, and then use the second point as the reference/anchor point - to search from this point forward for 3 points that have a good line of fit (usually used in cases where the future line of best fit/stock prices, have started to move in a steeper angle up the y-axis.
- This acceleration can/should occur for future points, even after an initial 3 point line of best fit is established. The new reference/anchor point in this case would be the 3rd of the initial 3 points.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back