“Link” new data to a spilled list that changes constantly

Mciccone

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi all.
I have a spilled FILTER list of a database that gets updated every day with some reference numbers and other columns. Every week or so I must analyse these data and fill in another column with the results of the analysis. Both the database and the filter are sorted by date. Now, since the database changes every day, it happens that new rows are inserted sometimes in between the old ones, and therefore the list changes constantly. I’d like a method to “link” this analysis results to the reference number that remains the same even if the data source changes.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Reference the first cell of the array with a "#" after the cell reference address in your formulas and it should work.
i.e.: VLOOKUP("Blue",H10#,2,1)

Upvote 0
If you are manually entering data then you cannot "link" it to the spilled range.

Upvote 0
If you are manually entering data then you cannot "link" it to the spilled range.
Fluff, are you replying to my comment about typing cell ref & "#"?
Maybe I misunderstood the the OP. My take was that he is inserting data in a data source that expands the spilled range as a result of new data.

Upvote 0
Hi, I am not clear with # symbol description, could you give more details or give an example, please?
Please review @Fluff's comment. My solution may not work if you're typing data into spilled range.

But this is what I mean:

Assume a spilled range is in cells A1:A5, the first cell contains the spilled formula.
If you want to have a spilled range in a formula then if you highlight that spilled range while building the formula. When you hightlight cells A1:A5 and complete the formula, if you look at the formula after it has been entered the range changes from A1:A5 to A1#.

If you just want to type in the range typing "A1#" will do the same thing. But, I'm unsure if 2019 processes spilled ranges the same way.

Mr Excel Questions.xlsx
IJ
1Manual Type J2#Spilled Range
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I2:I4I2=J2#
J2:J4J2=SEQUENCE(3,1,1,1)
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back