Link to an external workbook cells via a formula!

pbr1985

Hi all!

So I have a long list of workbooks for timekeeping, and their filenames are all in the same format (JobNumber:Name TimeKeeping)

For example I have 555.Jones TimeKeeping.xlsx and 556.Smith TimeKeeping.xlsx

I want to create a summary worksheet for all jobs, linking to different cells in the different workbooks, as below:

A B C D etc
Job no Name Worker Hours etc

Ideally I would enter A and B, and then C,D,etc would be able to concatenate the strings in these cells together with the other information needed to create the following link and return the value in that cell:

=('[555.Jones TimeKeeping.xlsx]Job Summary'!B5)

This way as more jobs are added I dont manually have to change the formula to the new workbook, I simple drag to continue the sequence!

The trouble is I know how to concatenate into a combined string, but not how to make it into a working formula.

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Thanks,

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
where is the name of the workbooks kept? Are these open/closed workbooks?

Upvote 0
The format of the file names is all the same, so in the summary sheet I will have columns with the job number in A, name in B, and then imported data in C, D, etc.

So from the data I put in A and B, the workbook name can be determined (Format is JobNumber . Name "Timekeeping" .xlsx) So i need a way of getting the text from columns A and B into the formula.

The workbooks will all be kept in the same folder, together with the summary sheet so relative references would work. They will be closed the majority of the times the summary sheet is opened.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back