Link to data and not a cell?

scvictory

Hi,

I have a data list that I use for a report and often times I have to sort the data. Due to the sorting I have not linked any cells to the report to automatically pull the number because I know once I sort the data in my data list the report would be screwed up. So I was wondering if I can make a link from the report to the value in a cell and if that value moves to a different cell due to sorting that the report will still read the value and not the original cell? I am assuming no because excel just copies the text within a cell to the linked cell but figured I would ask.

I hope that makes sense but if not I can try to post an example and thank you in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
welcome to the board.

Does the row containing the specific value you're after contain any unique features, such as a customer name or an invoice number or something of the like? If so, you may be able to use one of Excels data functions, such as vlookup or match to detect where the info is in your newly sorted data and retrieve the required value.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back