Link to data and not a cell?

scvictory

Hi,

I have a data list that I use for a report and often times I have to sort the data. Due to the sorting I have not linked any cells to the report to automatically pull the number because I know once I sort the data in my data list the report would be screwed up. So I was wondering if I can make a link from the report to the value in a cell and if that value moves to a different cell due to sorting that the report will still read the value and not the original cell? I am assuming no because excel just copies the text within a cell to the linked cell but figured I would ask.

I hope that makes sense but if not I can try to post an example and thank you in advance for your help.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Weaver

welcome to the board.

Does the row containing the specific value you're after contain any unique features, such as a customer name or an invoice number or something of the like? If so, you may be able to use one of Excels data functions, such as vlookup or match to detect where the info is in your newly sorted data and retrieve the required value.

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmajewsk

This Week's Hot Topics

• Turn fraction around
    Hello I need to turn a fraction around, for example I have 1/3 but I need to present as 3/1
  • TIme Clock record reformatting to ???
    Hello All, I'd like some help formatting this (Tbl-A)(Loaded via Power Query) [ATTACH type="full" width="511px" alt="PQdata.png"]22252[/ATTACH]...
  • TextBox Match
    hi, I am having a few issues with my code below, what I need it to do is when they enter a value in textbox8 (QTY) either 1,2 or 3 the 3 textboxes...
  • Using Large function based on Multiple Criteria
    Hello, I can't seem to get a Large formula to work based on two criteria's. I can easily get a oldest value based one value, but I'm struggling...
  • Can you check my code please
    Hi, Im going round in circles with a Compil Error End With Without With Here is the code [CODE=rich] Private Sub...
  • Combining 2 pivot tables into 1 chart
    Hello everyone, My question sounds simple but I do not know the answer. I have 2 pivot tables and 2 charts that go with this. However I want to...