Link to workbook using nominated cell text referencing

108monkeys

Office Version
  1. 2010
Hello,

I am wanting to link to a seperate workbook cell using the formulae ='[INF_Cap_8400-8051.xls]Infra Cap'!$C45 BUT instead of using the workbook to link to the cells of interest I would like to use text in Cell B1 for example.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 127pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 17pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 841" width=23><COL style="WIDTH: 110pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5376" width=147><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; WIDTH: 17pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" width=23 height=17>
A
</TD><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; WIDTH: 110pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" width=147>
B
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" height=17 x:num>
</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">
INF_Cap_8400-8051.xls
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver" height=17 x:num>
</TD><TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="39919">
16-Apr-09
</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">
Add
</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So I unsuccessully tried someting like this:
='[B1]Infra Cap '!$C45

What do I need to add to this or an alternative method to link other work book cells by passing nominated text. I would like to copy these columns and stop waisting time opening static workbooks.

Hope you can assist.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
The problem is you're after looking in other workbooks, so the INDIRECT function won't work. How and when would this reference be likely to change?

Upvote 0
(Man you are fast!)

Well, when I copy and past B:B into the new C:C I will rename cell C1 to INF_Cap_8400-8051.xls for example and will then access the required cell.

Cell C4 will now link to the new workbook cell. Hence the only cells which will change are ROW 1:1 and the other workbook's cell information.

Upvote 0
Can anyone else help me with this question?

I am trying to do a cell lookup between two workbooks while passing cell inforation to build a link cells. I am thinking something similar to the following HYPERLINK command:

=IF(K2<>"NO",HYPERLINK("C:\TEMP\"&E102&"_"&VLOOKUP(F:F,STREET_LOOKUP!$A$1:$B$69,2,FALSE)),"NOT AVAILABLE")

This would save lots of time instead of opening and linking to each workbook and cell. From the original post C1 would refer to a different workbook and C2 to C4 would be reading from specific cells in that workbook...

Hope this is possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back