Link two workbooks

rollingzep

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a workbook to which I download files from external sources. This workbook also contains my report macros.
These data files are huge in volume and thus slows down my working reports.
I use the columns in my working reports to lookup fields in data files to populate certain fields.
The size of my workbook is approx 75K.

Is there a way to have split them into two workbooks, one which contains only data files and another workbook containing my working reports
and link them?
If so, how do i do that? Will this reduce the size of my reports workbook and make it faster?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
This is a job for Power Query AND the Data Model. It will take a few hours to figure out how to do what you need to do, but once you have it under your belt, it will take minutes - maybe seconds - to do what you need.
Mr. E has an excellent playlist on it here: Power Query
Also Mike from the ExcelIsFun YouTube channel has a complete course on it here: Full Advanced Data Analysis & BI Class (MSPTDA). Power Query, Power Pivot, DAX, M Code, Power BI & Excel (30+ Videos).
You should be able to automate bringing in new data which will be loaded to the Data Model which will generate a Pivot Table for your report - possibly with one click. This sounds too good to be true, but really, it is true. I was doing Inventory Management with a database of over 300K of Smartphones tracking about 50K in actual Inventory, and reconciling that with reports from four carriers. It would take me a day to do one carrier. Had I known Power Query, I could have done all 4 carriers in a couple of hours!
It will seem overwhelming at first, but stick with it - it's well worth the time! And you can always come back here if you run into a speed bump! Good luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back