Linked Cells

VBA

Heya :biggrin:,

I've got an excel sheet to which I add data (whole columns) every once in a while. My first column (A) states the name of the data, my second (B) the unit and my third (C) the average value of the data in the columns behind it, each containing the data for a specific date. I hope this is understandable :LOL:

My question is this:
How do I make sure column C always takes the average value (which is {=Sum(D:AA)/COUNTA(D:AA)} right now) without me having to change the last column all the time? Thus if I add a column AB, that this one will be included - or that a warning will turn up stating something like "you added a column outside the average formula".
I know I can make the formula go to column ZZ or such ... but I still there will be a day when I reach the limit... I don't add the new data to the end of the sheet, but "insert" it at the D column - so I won't see it when I reach it...

And an other question:
If I link a cell on one worksheet to a cell in another worksheet by the means "=Sheet2!B9", what exactly happens to that link when I insert rows or columns? How can I make sure that no matter what I do, it will stay linked to that particular value that was in cell B9 of Sheet2 before I started inserting rows and columns there (maybe causing the value of B9 to change, in which case I'd like the changed value to be taken over by the other worksheet).

Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings
;)

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Maybe using Offset will give you the range you need?

Here I assume that all columns in Cells D to the last column have a column header (no blanks) - so the count of columns in the range is correct.

OFFSET(C1,0,1,65536,COUNTA(D1:IV1))

Or, in the formula altogether:
=SUM(OFFSET(C1,0,1,65536,COUNTA(D1:IV1)))/COUNTA(OFFSET(C1,0,1,65536,COUNTA(D1:IV1)))

Does that work? Note: I have IV as the last column and 65536 as last row b/c using excel 2003
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding your second question, usually excel is pretty good at keeping up with these things, at least if you're all in the same workbook. But, you can also use a named range which can in some cases be better:

=MyNamedRange instead of =Sheet2!A1

Alex

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you.

I implemented the offset in my code, and it seems to be working :) I didn't know that option existed, thanks for telling.

And I'm using names for those particular cells now. I'm not sure whether it really matters, but it's better to be safe than sorry ;)

Take care.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back