Linked tables and refresh options

knklbrr11

I have a Master table with essentially a database of about 1200 lines. To simplify for users, I want to link that Master table to other worksheets so I get the essentials, columns ABCDE etc, and can add new columns to the linked table. I've successfully used the Get External Data feature in the Data tab (I have Excel 2013). I clicked Existing Connections, Tables, and selected the Master table, and what I wanted appeared. However, the obstacle I'm encountering is adding new columns to the secondary table, call it Table2 that's linked to the Master. I've added a Test column, numbered 12345etc all the way down, then all I do is click to Refresh the link, and that column becomes skewed; numbers show up all across the column, even though the remaining columns did not sort. So where the #1 was, is now #961, etc., but the remaining columns stayed.

How can I get the data to update in the way that I want? I've played around with the Properties, selecting/unselecting "Preserve column sort/filter/layout" (unselected just returns the table to be identical to the Master), and the various options under "If the number of rows in the data range changes upon refresh:..:

I'm new to this forum just for this problem, so if you need examples or screen shots, kindly instruct how to add those. Thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back