Linked Workbook references

Fer1923

Ok, lets see if I can explain this correctly. I have several workbooks that "feed" from main workbook. In this main workbook, I have several tables and named ranges. In order for my "daughter" workbooks to operate correctly, the main workbook needs to be open (which I can deal with). My question is...is there anyway to make the main workbook automatically open in the background whenever I open up any of the daughter workbooks? Currently I have a hyperlink set up in each daughter workbook that I click on to open the main book, and then minimize it before I can process any information through. I would be happy with having the main book open whenever I open excel, I just want to know if I can get it to open in the background instead of having to open it then minimize it every time! Any ideas or suggestions?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I have created many suites of workbooks, where a master workbook is referenced by many reporting workbooks, without having to have the master workbook open. Can you tell us all what method is used in the daughter workbooks to fetch the data?

Upvote 0
So I have several links within the worksheets, and most of them will work without the other workbooks being open. But I do have 2 dependent data-validation drop down lists that pull their information from another workbook. This is the one that I need o have open in order for the drop down lists to work. I am just wondering if there is a way to either A) make the drop downs work without the other file being open (which from everything that I have read cannot happen) or B) make the file open in minimized or hide it in the background.

As basis of why I need the extra workbook: In each of 4 workbooks with different calculation bases, I have a drop down with a list of items, depending on which item I choose, it brings up my second drop down with attributes attached to the chosen item. When a certain item and attribute are selected, it generates a calculation base for another sheet. All of these items need to be changed and altered frequently which is why they are on another workbook. So I have named ranges within the base workbook and these ranges are also referenced within the 4 daughter workbooks. I believe this is the tie that makes it necessary to have the base workbook open???

I hope this helps! Again, I am fine with the base workbook having to be open, I just want to see if I can run it in the background, or open in minimized.

Upvote 0
Pull any external information into your daughter workbook using multiple linked cells ( or array linked areas ), or by MS Query, and then access that information for the dependent dropdowns. Not knowing your data, I am only guessing that's workable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back