Linked Workbooks Question

au2010

Hello. When opening a workbook with links to other workbooks, I sometimes get a message that Excel is "Linking" with a file name and a status bar in the lower right corner of the Excel screen (see highlighted area in screenshot below).

Sometimes this only lasts a couple of seconds, so it's not a problem. But other times it seems to "stick" on this "Linking" step for several minutes before completing the process and opening the file. Does anyone know what causes this "Linking" step to occur when opening files? Is there a way to turn it off? When I am opening these files, I do NOT want or need them to update the data from the files they are linked to.

Some additional info that may relevant:

1) The "Linking" step only occurs when the file I am linked to is closed. In other words: if File B is linked to File A, and File A is already open, no "Linking" step happens when I open File B. But if I open File B when File A is closed, I sometimes get this long, slow "Linking" step.

2) I'm using Windows running MS Office Professional Plus 2016 with Excel 2016.

Thank you.

Screenshot 2020-11-25 174512.png

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
In case the problem is still there…
You can modify the property of these external links, to opt for Manual updating, Automatic or for Ask-for.

In my version (office 365), this is under Menu /File /Information; look for and click "Modify external links" (I find that choice at the very bottom-right of the Information page). You can immediately opt for Automatic or Manual updating, but there is also a "Prompt at startup" with more options.

My preferred setup is for Automatic update + Ask the user (startup prompt)

Bye

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back