Linking a spreadsheet from Teams to desktop Excel

MurdochQuill

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I was thinking about being slightly more productive and having an excel document on my desktop at work pull data from multiple Teams spreadsheets as a link, these spreadsheets are natively uploaded in Teams, so link may be variable on each upload, unfortunately.

In the case it's variable, could it be made into a static path if it is uploaded to Onedrive or similar, even a network location (not sure if possible on Teams)?

Preferably I would be linking it like "=<url>'[spreadsheet.xlxs]Sheet1'!A1

Anyone got some ideas? :)

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi Murdoch,

I am also interested in this, I hope you don't mind me adding to your question rather then posting a duplicate :)

This may or may not help you, but files on Teams are hosted on Sharepoint, so it should be fairly easy to link them with an address (not that I know I to do it). However, my solution to variable filenames (and Sharepoint addresses) is to import the data from said Teams workbooks based on a (known) portion of their filename.

Say, for example, that I want to import range B1:B10 from VariableTeamsFilename_FirstRange.xlsx and range B11:B20 from VariableTeamsFilename_SecondRange.xlsx into my open workbook (WorkingFile.xlsx).
I would then just type the easy part of each filename ("FirstRange" and "SecondRange") into cells A1 and B1 of WorkingFile.xlsx, respectively. At this point I would just need a macro to look at the text in A1 and B1 of WorkingFile.xlsx and use it to fetch the custom files in "sharepoint.com/TeamsFolder/Uploads/VariableTeamsFilename_*.xlsx" so that Excel could automatically find the right files and populate the cells below A1 with the data in B1:B10 from VariableTeamsFilename_FirstRange.xlsx, and the cells below B1 with the data in B11:B20 from VariableTeamsFilename_SecondRange.xlsx.

Ideally, this would be done automatically (e.g. having the macro also monitor changes in cells A1 and B1) or semi-automatically (i.e. running the macro manually or creating a button for it inside the spreadsheet).

I hope someone can help us out :)

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about hosting the file in a static network location with a text hyperlink instead, seems a bit backwards but it works, I guess!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back