linking cell ranges on one work sheet

Windsinc

:rolleyes: One day I will get the hang of this I promise even if it kills me
I have data such as states, weight, truck numbers etc in one worksheet which is in the same workbook as the worksheet that has the data in that I want to use for a range reference for my drop down boxes. Being a beginner in Exel, I would appreciate any help on this in beginner terms so that I can understand it. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you want to use Data Validation to create a drop down list from data found on a different page of the workbook. Here is how you would do that:

Go to the page with the data you want in your drop down list. Highlight all the entries in the column you want to appear in the drop down box. Name that range by going to Insert | Name | Define and type in a name, like "MyRange", for example.

Now go to the other page where you want to create the drop down list. Select the column/range you want the drop down lists to appear, then go to Data | Validation. Under "Allow", select "List". Then in source, type in "=MyRange" (without the quotes), and click OK.

Now, if you click on any of these cells, you should have the drop down arrow and selections!

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the response.
What I did was link to the worksheet that had the information that I wanted in each drop down box.The information for each drop down is different and I only wanted the choices pertaining to that data to be in the drop box in the drop down, not all of the information from the workbook that has ALL the information. I guess it's kind of like a database sheet. Then I changed the font color to white and locked and hid the information so no one can edit it.
The way you suggested will work once I get all the data that will eventually appear in each data box into the wooksheet that has everything in it right now it's changing by the minute. I probably did things the hard way. I am sure there are better and easier ways to do this, but hey I am learning. I've learned alot just by reading the post on here.
I really appreciate the time that each one of you take to help others especially the newbies like me. :eek:
The biggest problem I run into is that some of the terms I simply do not understand as I am so new to excel. Maybe one day when I get it like I think it's supposed to be I'll be brave enough to post is and let ya'll take a look and tell me what I can do to make it work better.

Upvote 0
Hi there!
I finally got everything working right and I sure do appreciate your help. It works just like you said it would! I had to get all the data separated. You are a whiz :pray:
Thanks so very very much
:biggrin:

Upvote 0
Hi Windsinc:

CONGRATS on making everything work right -- now what about the part about being brave -- I mean when are you going to unveil your masterpiece for all of us to admire!

Upvote 0
Soon! I promise I am still adding data to it. I'ts like being a junky when you start getting what you crave you never get enough! I am so excited that I have finally gotten this working I might have a beer!
Stay tuned for the being brave segment to follow soon same Excel channel same Exel time
the trainee Excel nut
Trish (y)

Upvote 0
Hi Trish:

I did look at the link you posted -- looks like a project -- Good Luck, keep us posted with how it goes!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back