Linking each new Word Document to an Excel Spreadsheet

cnewton

I am not very experienced with Excel. Here is what I am attempting to accomplish. I am going to create a word document that can be filled in by users. Each time a user edits the word document and saves it under a different file name from the original, it automatically creates a new line in an Excel spreadsheet. The spreadsheet continues to populate as new word documents are saved. Users can then look at the Excel Spreadsheet, select files they would like to open and open the files through a hyperlink to the Word document. I'm not sure if this is even possible. I basically want a "table of contents" that acts as a file folder that links to each Word Document and automatically updates the "table of contents" as new files are saved. I do not want the users to be required to do any work with hyperlinks or Macros, I simply want them to save the file and the file automatically populate in an Excel Spreadsheet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back