Linking Excel to external mySQL Server for PHP

furry2003

I run a football (soccer) website and on it there is quite a bit of data and quite a few statistics such as league tables, goalscorers, appearance totals etc. which can change on a daily basis. Rather than change each page each day, the data is fed in to the website using PHP and MySQL.

I currently use about ten Excel and Access files to colllate the various data items but they all feed in to one Excel file to upload to mySQL on my hosting company’s mySQL Server. Here is my problem. The hosting company only accepts SQL files to upload to the mySQL server. So at the moment, I have quite a laborious task of uploading the Excel file in XSLX format to my local mySQL Server using XAMPP HPmyadmin on my local machine. I then export that in SQL format to a file on my local machine and then upload that to the MySQL on the remote server where my website is hosted.

Ideally, I would like to know if there is an easy way of linking my excel file to that remote mySQL server so that when I make changes to the excel file, those changes are reflected on the mySQL database on the remote server.

Failing that, is there a straightforward way of saving an Excel file in SQL format so I don’t have to convert it each time using mySQL on my local machine?

Appologies if this question isn’t appropriate for an excel forum but I am really stuck.

I use current versions of mySQL Server with XAMPP, Dreamweaver to edit my website and my local machine runs Excel 2010 on Vista.

Thanks.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Is anybody able to help with this? If it isn't an appropriate question for an Excel forum, I appologise but I sure could appreciate some help. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Offhand thoughts are:
1) talk to your host provider about upload options as it seems unusual to be limited to one format only.
2) You can always write the code on the server side to pull the data in (i.e., create your own upload page/script with PHP). If you went that route you would run your script after you changed the file. That's probably beyond the scope of this forum though we do have a few PHP guys around here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back