Linking Excel to MS Access Table

goblue667

Hi I am new to MS Access and looking to edit data from an Access DB in Excel. I loaded the table into excel and deleted some data in one of the columns. After I have refreshed it, the data pops back up in excel like I never deleted it. Is there something I am doing wrong here??

CSmith

Office Version
365, 2010, 2007
Platform
Windows, Mobile, Web
You are technically editing a COPY of the data not the live data in Access would be my thought.

welshgasman

If you link an Excel file to Access, it is read only to Access?, though it indicates you cannot delete the data.

Presumably the same happens the other way.?

However I have just used External Data to link to an Access table from Excel and have deleted two rows with no compplaint. Closed and opened the workbook and data is still not there. Gone into Access and the data is still there.? Phew! :)

CSmith

Office Version
365, 2010, 2007
Platform
Windows, Mobile, Web
The data refreshes under certain conditions but still copy in excel memory

welshgasman

I can replicate it if I choose 'Refresh data when opening file' but I have to do that. By default mine is not set.?

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
You cannot edit Excel data directly in Access and vice versa without the use of VBA.
It is only read-only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gangstar67

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...