Linking from a pivot table

Xenoun

Board Regular
Hello, i've created a workbook that grabs data from another workbook, uses a pivot table to re-arrange the data and then grabs the data from the pivot table, performs calculations and graphs them.

However, i've now encountered a new problem. When the source data workbook is updated and new data enters my workbook the pivot table expands. But the links I have to my calculations section don't.
I created the link with copy>paste special>link. I clicked the little down arrow to select the column of pivot table data. The problem is that by clicking the down arrow it only links to the bottom cell of the pivot table at the time when I do it. So when the new data enters the new entries aren't added.

Is there a way to link to the pivot table properly so that my copied data will fill out new cells as they are added to the table?

Edit: I should probably mention that if I select the entire column up the top then when I link it gives me values of zero for empty cells. For graphing purposes I can't have zero cells (or zero date cells in the case of 1 column).

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Strangely enough, from searching it seems that the GetPivotData function would work great for me here. It seems that this function is on by default and causes a lot of problems for people, however it doesnt seem to have worked for me. I've checked and seen that the Generate GetPivotData box is ticked but when I click a cell it refers to the cell rather than the pivot table data.

If someone could tell me how to use this correctly that would be great. I'll keep looking in the meantime

Upvote 0
Ok, so i've discovered the getpivotdata function is working fine, its just that the first column I was to link to is a Row Label. The row label is my date for each piece of data, but I cant seem to get the GetPivotData function to work for it.

I think I may need some kind of work around for it if anyone is able to help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back