Linking from an Excel cell to a specific location in a pdf

I need to create multiple links from an Excel spreadsheet to a pdf document, and each of the links needs to be to a different specific location in the pdf. I know how to link from an Excel spreadsheet to a pdf document, and know how to embed a pdf in a spreadsheet. I also know how to link from Excel into a specific location of a WORD document. But I do not know how to link into a spcific location within a pdf document. Converting the pdf to a WORD document does not appear to be an option because all of the formatting of the pdf is lost.
.... Have searched this message board in multiple ways as well as pdf user groups but have found nothing. Would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Acrobat made the pdf format so it is easy to view, but hard to do anything else with unless you edit it with the full expensive Acrobat package. Most programmers discourage uses from even going near pdf's. Only people who don't know any better use that format.

You can convert new versions of Excel to pdf's with the optional Acrobat Distiller that docks into the Excel toolbar. And, the new Version 12 of Office will have this built-in. But, as many programmers think pdf's are crap; many of us only use it when we must and not by choice!

You just can't do much with a pdf other than view it!

NateO, has some code that takes the pdf and pushes it around as an rtf to a doc then to Excel: [I have not used it! And, do not know how to use it.]

Sub PullWordTables1()
Dim wrdObj As Object, tbl As Object
Dim ws As Worksheet, i As Long

On Error GoTo 1

Set wrdObj = GetObject(, "Word.Application")

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For Each tbl In wrdObj.activedocument.tables
i = i + 1
With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
Set ws = .Add(, .Item(.Count))
End With
tbl.Range.Copy
With ws
.Range("a1").PasteSpecial xlValues
Application.CutCopyMode = False
.Cells.Replace What:="/", Replacement:=vbNullString
.Name = "Table " & i
End With
Next1:
Set ws = Nothing
Set wrdObj = Nothing

If CBool(Err.Number) Then _
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

This back-door product will convert pdf's without the use of Acrobat, I have not used it, but know others who have:

http://www.solidpdf.com/

It works by converting the pdf to a Word doc from there you can pull it into Excel [the product can do this automatically for you directly as well!]. I normally don't post links to products, that are not free, but all pdf editors seem to cost a lot and this one is a fraction of the Acrobat cost, 2 versions $50 & $100. I use the full Acrobat package [new version is the lowest priced pro version ever at about: $500 for Acrobat 7 Pro.], just updated to the new version, to modify pdf's, but, ask users not to send me data in that format!

Upvote 0
And clearly I was wrong again (lol) - there always seems to be an answer - even if it is not a perfect solution.

Upvote 0
tactps,

I think your short answer, is the best for most users: "I don't think this can be done... "

Most only use pdf's for secure posts.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for the quick responses. To the extent that it might be relevant, I do have Adobe Acrobat Professional v.7. With it I can convert from pdf to WORD, but it works poorly with heavily formatted documents. Professional v.7 does provide capabilities for editing, hyperlinking within the same document, creating objects with at least some commands, etc. within a pdf document. It also appears to provide some access to the underlying document structure, although I have been unable to determine a way to get at it for purposes of linking to Excel. I have also been advised that none of Acrobat is OLE-supported [of which I am not fully familiar with OLE], and that OLE is presumably what allows Excel to link to a specific location within a Word document.

I agree with all comments regarding pdf. Unfortunately I have found nothing better for quick analysis of and commenting on documents of nearly any format, including and especially documents that otherwise exist in hard copy only [scan these into pdf].

Please let me know – in any case, thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back