linking multiple workbooks: #n/a error

mhaenick

I am using excel 2007 to create a series of linked workbooks in excel 97-2003 format on sharepoint.

I have one source file that links to 32 destination files. The source file contains multiple tabs. All values are text. I am copying a cell range and using the paste link function in the destination. The destination is formatted exactly the same as the source. all cell addresses in both source and destination files are exactly the same.

I am encountering an "#n/a" error when opening the destination file. Frustratingly, cells within the same pasted range are updating normally while others are not. When the source is opened the destination usually updates.

Please help! All efforts to research this issue have been fruitless.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
I have the same issue in Excel 2003 but only when the main linked workbook is password protected. An answer as to why would be great as my research has come up with no explaination or reason.

Upvote 0
Have been experimenting further and noticed that in instances where my source cell had a hyphen in the text, removing the hyphen seemed to help correct the problem.

Not sure if the hyphen is the issue or if simply updating the cell was. Either way, still experiencing the problem with some cells without hyphens or other non-text characters.

Upvote 0
Saved workbooks on my computer and still experienced the issue. Rule out SharePoint as part of the problem?

Upvote 0
the source is not. the destination file worksheets are protected. Even when un-protecting them, still experience the issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back