Linking spreadsheets and formatting excel

Jockeyp

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello,

I am trying to link two spreadsheets together where I input data into one and then have it copied into the other. I am using a Mac and simply using the following formula;

='[Other Workbook.xlsm]Sheet1'!$C$3

It works fine enough for when I have numbers and dates in the other file but when it tries to copy over a cell with text in it, it just shows the formula above in the cell. How do i set the formula to pull through the text in the other file and not just show the formula to get the data?

I know that I can use VBA to link the two together and transfer the data but if this simple version above can work, I would prefer to use that.

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Sounds like the cell with the formula is formatted as text. Change it to General & re-confirm the formula.

Upvote 0
Typically that should work, i have a few hundred cells links just like that across multiples sheets and workbooks, but i am currently having an issue where i am trying to update the formula and its no longer linking. Quick way i would do it was be in the cell you want linked, click on it, hit =, then click the reference cell.

Upvote 0
Thanks but changing the original cell format to 'General' does not solve the problem.

Upvote 0
Did you re confirm the formula, ie select the cell press F2 & then enter?

Upvote 0
Pressing F2 on a mac - I believe the equivalent is Control+U. Doing as you describe still makes no difference. It could be that the keyboard shortcut is wrong - I am working from this page's guidance.

Upvote 0
Missed that you are on a Mac, just double click the cell, it does the same thing.

Upvote 0
Yes that has done it. For future readers - ensure that both spreadsheets are formatted to General and it will work.

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
I was just seeing that too, i had to go to general to get it to link, but could than change the formatting from where as needed

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back