Linking (synchronizing) Master to Slave Drop Box Lists

marcn

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
HELP PLEASE

I created a drop down list for a master control (dashboard). I want to copy it to a anther sheet where it will be used in a formula (Slave). When I copy it with a link I can update the slave from the Master. However, once I change the selection on the Slave, the link is broken
test.png
FYI, I do not mean DEPENDENT DBL as it is normally used. I want to select a value from Master DBL and have it appear (updated) on the SLAVE DBL which is located on a separate WorkSheet. I can do it but as soon as I change the selection in the Slave, the link to the Master is broken.

The Slave is repeated (Eg for each month) so that different values can be individually selected at the Slave Level. The Master only gives initial control and updates to the Slave.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Well, if it's a master/slave, then don't change it in the slave. Use a simple formula that references the value from the master.

But then, you want to edit the slave, so it has different values from the master. At the same time you don't want to lose the link to the master?? That does not make sense.

If it is linked, it shows what the master shows. If you edit it, you are changing the value, so it no longer shows what the master shows. Because you just edited it. Because you wanted a value that is different from the master. So what is the problem?

Maybe you need to step back and think a bit more about the bigger picture of what you want to achieve.

Upvote 0
Thanks but I do not think I was clear enough. Basically, I need the Master (which has dozen drop list) connect to many slaves). Eg Each DBL represents a month. User can set or reset the full year or go in at slave level and set each month. This is very important as this inputs to a financial model and varying the Master at one time shows impact instantly for the year. If we use needs to tweak it by month they go into the slave and do it at the Month level and see the immediate financial impact.... Does that clear it up any?

Upvote 0
No it doesn't. What do you expect to happen in the slave after you have changed the value that it inherited from the master? You either link to the master or you don't. There is no middle ground.

Upvote 0
What I was hoping for is a VBA work around. I know it can be done because one of the members in this forum has done it. I just don't know the exact steps.

Upvote 0
You could have lead with that.

Start the macro recorder, copy the master sheet cell, paste it into the slave sheet cell. That's your basic code.

Amend that to loop through all the slave sheets and repeat the copy paste for all master cells you want to copy.

Upvote 0
Thank you again. If I had not known there was a non- VBA way, I would have led with that. However, Although I have basic excel skills, I have never learned VBA or recording of Macros. I guess I will have to put my self through some home schooling.... hey, still learning at 71 years of age... keeps me young... thanks for your assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back