Linking to other excel files

JoshuaMars

Hi there Excel users.

Is it possible to do formulas with other excel files.

I was thinking it could be but only if the file is open at the same time.

Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

GlennUK

It all depends on what the formula is exactly? Some functions work on closed external books, other functions don't work, so without knowing what you want I can't really help.

JoshuaMars

I'll make it simple

I want to sum a1 to a5 in file titles 2006 and have the formula in a2 in file titled account.

thanks

GlennUK

Have the 2 workbook open at the same time, and in the "account" book start typing the formula with a =SUM( and then switch to the "titles" book and select the 5 cells A1:A5 and type ) and press Enter.

MarkAndrews

ADVERTISEMENT

Have the 2 workbook open at the same time, and in the "account" book start typing the formula with a =SUM( and then switch to the "titles" book and select the 5 cells A1:A5 and type ) and press Enter.

****, you beat me to it Glenn :biggrin:

MarkAndrews

MarkAndrews

ADVERTISEMENT

GlennUK

Ha ha, your PC appears to be stammering a fair bit. Sounds like you had the same idea as me though, using the easy way to generate formulae.

MarkAndrews

This has causes problems for me tho (in the past), mainly with network mapping

If a user didn't have that network drive mapped to their profile, it wouldn't refresh the data (from the linked file)

So i ended up bypassing the cell link to the server name, which resolved the problem

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sasha Lawrence