Linking two columns and then ordering a column

worksux

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I've created an example that illustrates what I'm working because the work is private. So in the example, relative to the actual work, there is an ID number that is related to a Name. And when I receive the excel files, the order of the names need to be adjusted. So in the example, the order of names have to be adjusted such that it matches the correct order. I want the order of names to match the correct order and ID to move with the Name as I adjust. I can't simply use Cut and Insert Cut, because in actuality the volume is much bigger so it would be slow and tiring. Is there a way to use formulas or something in Excel that links the 2 cells Name and ID, such that when I order Name to match the correct order the ID will also move? And is there a way to sort the order of Name to automatically match the Correct Order?

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 3.16.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 3.16.27 PM.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
I didn't understand how the received data looks like and how they should be rearranged.
An image with "Before" & "After" should be enough

Upvote 0
I didn't understand how the received data looks like and how they should be rearranged.
An image with "Before" & "After" should be enough
Here is a "Before & After": We receive the 'data' in a certain order, but we know the correct order of the names, so we need to adjust the order to match that. However, the names are linked to the ids, so I need the first be able to link the 2 columns/cells together and then be able to sort the 'Names' so that it goes in the correct order. When the 'Names' are sorted the linked ID should move with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 7.12.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 7.12.31 AM.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Could we see a few records of your information, with columns and rows; before and after?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back