Linking two workbooks

Cormac95

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have attached two images of the workbooks i am going to be talking about in this thread. I am new to this site and im not sure if you can upload sample excel workbooks to this? if you can, can someone advise me how to please.

I am trying to link two workbooks together. I have an Engineers report, which is basically a template that would be filled out after every job and i want to link it to what i call my job database workbook. Both workbooks have same headers within and it is these cells i want to link to each other. However, as it is just a template it would getting saved under a different name and the template would be used repeatedly and always saved under a different name. So i cant just normally link the cells to each other as the link will follow the name change of the workbook and the link on the template would be lost.

Also, as the information from the engineers report would be going into a table in the job database, i need it to be able to automatically go to the next available row. So basically every time i fill out a report, a new row in my job database is created.

Im not even sure if what im looking for is possible, i hope i have explained it clearly enough. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it is just to tell me that it cant be done, as i have been searching everywhere online for an answer for days to no avail. If anything is unclear please ask for further details.

Thanks in advance,

Cormac

Engineer Report.JPG
Job Database.JPG
Engineer Report.JPGJob Database.JPG

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Still cant figure this out for myself. if anyone anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Upvote 0
The way I would do that is to put some code in the Workbook Before close event to automatically open your database workbook ( if it isn't already open) and then copy the information from the template to the next line, in the database.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back