Linking Workbooks on different Excel Apps, same PC?

rodrigt

On my PC I have no problem starting Excel, opening two files that are linked and seeing the destination file change instantly when I update the source file. However, if instead I start two Excel applications and open only one file in each the link does not work. For instance If I add a test link on the destination file it will fetch data from the source file but it acts as embedded rather than linked, i.e. it fetches the data in response to the new test code, but when the source file is changed nothing happens on the destination file.

I need two Excels because for a new project the source file gets a DDE.xls update every second, thus it flickers like crazy and if I open the destination file in that same Excel it will also flicker. Currently I open the destination file in a separate Excel and via "Get External Data" I can get it to update OK, but unfortunately the update cannot happen any faster than once/min. Since linking simply causes the destination cells to change without the worksheet flickering, my goal is to get my destination file to update instantly - without flicker.

Thanks!

Tom

PS-- Details: I'm using a PC (XP, no network) and Excel 2000 (same problem on a laptop with Win7/Excel 2007).

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back