Links will not break!

Sarche

I have researched until I am researched out. I get this annoying message every time I open my Workbook telling me I have links that will not update. When I click on edit links it brings up the list of links that are all years old versions of this workbook and long since been deleted. I have tried selecting all and breaking the link, but nothing happens. I have changed the startup prompt to 'Don't display the alert and update links' , but that doesn't seem to work either. I have done the whole Ctrl-f and the [ thing. There is none in my entire workbook. I have deleted all data validations. I have done the Check for Issues and deleted all hidden content. Yet still NOTHING IS WORKING!!! Someone please help me get rid of these links!! Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I just solved a similar issue for a co-worker. A lot of things to check.

Do you have Conditional Formatting?

Note that once you find and break the link, you will have to save, close, and reopen your file for the link to go away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just solved a similar issue for a co-worker. A lot of things to check.

Do you have Conditional Formatting?

Note that once you find and break the link, you will have to save, close, and reopen your file for the link to go away.

No, I do not have any Conditional Formatting in my Workbook. I have even tried save, close, reboot computer, and reopen file and it is still not working.

Upvote 0
No, I do not have any Conditional Formatting in my Workbook. I have even tried save, close, reboot computer, and reopen file and it is still not working.

Take a look though File, Check for Issues, Check Compatibility to try to find any references to other workbooks. Another thing to try is changing the source of the link to itself. If these don't work, can you upload the file to a file sharing website such as drop box so that we can take a deeper look?

Upvote 0
The only success for those "Klingons" that I have found is to create a new workbook, pasting the data as values into the new workbook. However, that may not be a viable option depending on your particular situation.

That being said, have you tried this potential solution by Chris Newman?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back