List Column Ranges

mgaria_sln

I am attempting to apply xlTotalsCalculationSum to a range of cells in a table, but I cannot seem to get the range entered properly. Here is my current code.

ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period2").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period3").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period4").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period5").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period6").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period7").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period8").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period9").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period10").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period11").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period12").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Total").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum

How can I simplify this into one line of code?

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi

Not quite 1 line of code, but

if the columns are contiguous you add the total to the first column and then fill it to the right, like:

Code:
ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period2").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum

Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[period2]]").AutoFill Destination:=Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period2]:[Period12]]"), Type:=xlFillDefault

Upvote 0
Hello PGC,

Thank you for your reply. I had tried that code originally, but unfortunately when the Fill executes it sets all columns in the provided range as =SUBTOTAL(109,[Period2]). It's filling like [Period2] is a locked reference.

Regards,

Martin

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. I had tried that code originally, but unfortunately when the Fill executes it sets all columns in the provided range as =SUBTOTAL(109,[Period2]). It's filling like [Period2] is a locked reference.

Hi Martin

That's strange. I had tried it with excel 2010 and it worked OK. Now I tried it with 2007 and it's working OK too.

Did you use the code exactly that I posted?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good morning PGC,

Yes, I applied your code both modified and then unmodified. In my original post I accidently omitted Period1. Nevertheless, neither Fills correctly. I recently started using Excel2013, perhaps this is a bug in that version?

Here is the code in several forms: modified, unmodified, and the individual code for each row (which is the only one working at this time). At this point, I'm not overly stressed about having 10 additional lines. I'll just move forward and revisit it at a later date.

Thank you for your assistance!

Regards,

Martin

' *****************************
' Apply sums to a TenantIncome table
' *****************************

' ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period2").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period2]]").AutoFill Destination:=Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period2]:[Period12]]"), Type:=xlFillDefault

ActiveSheet.ListObjects("TenantIncome").ListColumns("Period1").TotalsCalculation = xlTotalsCalculationSum
Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period1]]").AutoFill Destination:=Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period1]:[Period12]]"), Type:=xlFillDefault

' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period1]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period1])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period2]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period2])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period3]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period3])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period4]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period4])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period5]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period5])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period6]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period6])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period7]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period7])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period8]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period8])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period9]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period9])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period10]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period10])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period11]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period11])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Period12]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Period12])"
' Range("TenantIncome[[#Totals],[Total]]").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUBTOTAL(109,[Total])"

Upvote 0
... and you are right.

RoryA was kind enough to try it in other versions of excel and it does not work in excel 2013.

Interesting enough, it works in excel 2016 !!!

So, it works in excel 2007, 2010 and 2016

Does not work in excel 2013

which means, IMO, a bad solution, not to use.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back