List of Tab Names

butch3

Board Regular
When excel starts, I'd like the list of tab names (after the first tab) to populate as a list in the first tab starting from G9 and going down. In H9, going down, the macro should just simply display what is in each tab on cell B4 (except for the first tab).

It is preferred that only the G9, H9, and the data being displayed as a result of this program be placed in order of the earliest date. G5, for example, should not be sorted since this is outside of the area for this program.

Tabs may be added or modified in the future by the user. Also, there may be other text on the sheet for the first tab. This code should not interfere with the text that is in other columns.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 15

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
VBA Code:
Sub List_TabNames()

Dim arr()                                                  'tempory array to stock data
     ReDim arr(1 To 2, 1 To 10)                                 'already made for 10 worksheets

For i = 2 To ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Count                 'loop through all worksheets
          ptr = ptr + 1                                         'pointer
          If ptr > UBound(arr, 2) Then ReDim Preserve arr(1 To 2, 1 To ptr)     'if array isn't great enough redim & keep actual datat
          With Worksheets(i)
               arr(1, ptr) = .Name                              'the name of that worksheet
               arr(2, ptr) = .Range("B4").Value2                'the value of B4
          End With
     Next

With Sheets(1).Range("G9")                                 'on the 1st worksheet
          .Resize(100, 2).ClearContents                         'clear contents of 100*2 cells starting in G9
          With .Resize(UBound(arr, 2), UBound(arr))             'this is the size of the range to be written
               .Value = Application.Transpose(arr)              'write the transposed array
               .Sort .Range("B1"), xlAscending, Header:=xlNo    'sort on the 2nd column
          End With
     End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Consider:

First go to the name manager and create a named range called SheetNames with this formula:

=TRANSPOSE(GET.WORKBOOK(1)&T(NOW()))

Then create a sheet as below:

Book1
ABCDEFGH
9Sheet33Sheet2410/1/2021
10Sheet34Sheet312/25/2021
11Sheet2410/1/2021Sheet33 
12Sheet312/25/2021Sheet34 
13Sheet351/3/2022Sheet351/3/2022
14Sandbox2/2/2022Sandbox2/2/2022
Sheet34
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D9:E14D9=SORT(CHOOSE({1,2},MID(SheetNames,FIND("]",SheetNames)+1,255),SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&MID(SheetNames,FIND("]",SheetNames)+1,255)&"'!B4"),">0")),2)
G9:G15G9=IFERROR(INDEX(MID(SheetNames,FIND("]",SheetNames)+1,255),ROWS(G$9:G9)),"")
H9:H15H9=IF(G9="","",SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&G9&"'!B4"),">0"))
Dynamic array formulas.

If you don't have Excel 365, use the G9:H9 formulas and drag down. If you have Excel 365, the D9 formula will work, and it sorts the sheets by date. I used a custom number format of

m/d/yyyy;;;

so that non-date entries would not show up. For either version, you'll need to save the workbook as macro-enabled.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub List_TabNames()

Dim arr()                                                  'tempory array to stock data
     ReDim arr(1 To 2, 1 To 10)                                 'already made for 10 worksheets

For i = 2 To ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Count                 'loop through all worksheets
          ptr = ptr + 1                                         'pointer
          If ptr > UBound(arr, 2) Then ReDim Preserve arr(1 To 2, 1 To ptr)     'if array isn't great enough redim & keep actual datat
          With Worksheets(i)
               arr(1, ptr) = .Name                              'the name of that worksheet
               arr(2, ptr) = .Range("B4").Value2                'the value of B4
          End With
     Next

With Sheets(1).Range("G9")                                 'on the 1st worksheet
          .Resize(100, 2).ClearContents                         'clear contents of 100*2 cells starting in G9
          With .Resize(UBound(arr, 2), UBound(arr))             'this is the size of the range to be written
               .Value = Application.Transpose(arr)              'write the transposed array
               .Sort .Range("B1"), xlAscending, Header:=xlNo    'sort on the 2nd column
          End With
     End With

End Sub
Code seems good. The only issue is that the output includes hidden tabs. I don't want hidden tabs to be listed. Thanks.

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Another option, depending on version
VBA Code:
Sub butch()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim Ws As Worksheets
   Dim i As Long

ReDim Ary(1 To Worksheets.Count - 1, 1 To 2)
   For i = 2 To Worksheets.Count
      With Worksheets(i)
         Ary(i - 1, 1) = .Name
         Ary(i - 1, 2) = .Range("B4").Value
      End With
   Next i
   Sheets(1).Range("G9").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2).Value = Application.Sort(Ary, 2)
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub butch()
     Dim Ary   As Variant
     Dim Ws    As Worksheets
     Dim i     As Long

ReDim Ary(1 To Worksheets.Count - 1, 1 To 2)
     For i = 2 To Worksheets.Count
          With Worksheets(i)
               If .Visible Then
                    ptr = ptr + 1
                    Ary(ptr, 1) = .Name
                    Ary(ptr, 2) = .Range("B4").Value
               End If
          End With
     Next i
     Sheets(1).Range("G9").Resize(UBound(Ary), 3).Value = Application.Sort(Ary, 2)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back