List of time data using start and end times and presenting duration as an hourly table

marte8580

Hi all,

I have a list of activities that include the start and end time - I need to sum the duration of these activities into a table with hourly intervals. It would be easy enough if all the activity was only an hour in duration :LOL:, however there are activities that are an hour and 30 minutes long, 2 hours long etc...

So, I have my data in one tab, with a number of columns that contain, date, start time, end time, duration (formula end - start), activity name etc. In another tab I have a summary of the total duration broken down into hourly slots.

What I am looking to do is populate the tab with an hourly table which displays effort (duration of all events) each day to sum up the duration in each of the hour slots. For example, if I have an activity that starts at 09:00 and ends at 10:30, so a duration of 1.5 hours... I would like to display 1 hour in my hourly table next to 09:00-10:00 and 0.5 hours next to 10:00-11:00, also on the date that the activity occurs- I have a table matrix with hours from 08:00 to 20:00 listed on the left with the date vertically along the top. to elaborate, let's say i have another activity which starts at 09:30 and ends at 10:30, adding to the above, that is 0.5 hours in 09:00-10:00 and 0.5 in 10:00-11:00. If we took these to items together, my table should display 2 hours in 09:00-10:00 and 1 hour in 10:00-11:00 :eek:

Thank you in advance for any advice.. I don't seem to be able to post attachments, else I could provide an example...

PS: I don't want to do this as a pivot table, it needs to be a template format I can distribute.. I need it to be "fool proof" so I don;t have to rely on people being able to refresh a pivot table.

Thanks
Martin

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back