List of values based on criteria in two places...

Joshyd

Hi there,

I am currently using a tracking spreadsheet to list out titles of people who started in my organization and the days it took to hire them. The problem I am running into is based on the fact they are occasionally stored in an interim place if they have accepted an offer, but not started yet. This is how my formula is set up right now:

{=IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX("Place 1 titles",SMALL(IF(YEAR("Place 1 acceptance date")=YEAR("Date in question",IF(MONTH("Place 1 acceptance date")=MONTH("Date in question"),ROW("Range 1:last point of data"),FALSE),FALSE))),ROW(1:1)),1),),""),INDEX("Place 2 titles",SMALL(IF(YEAR("Place 2 acceptance date")=YEAR("Date in question",IF(MONTH("Place 2 acceptance date")=MONTH("Date in question"),ROW("Range 2:last point of data"),FALSE),FALSE))),ROW(1:1)),1),),"")}

the formula will also add a "; " if data is returned, then search for the days to hire in a similar structure, then add " Days" if days to hire is found.

The problem:

If there is a point of data found in "Place 1", then, when it is spread down to the next cell, it will return the 2nd smallest data point (this part of the formula: SMALL(IF("x",ROW(2:2)). This is a problem because when it is searching the second place, it is already looking for the second smallest point, meaning that it skips over the first. The more data in the first place, the more data that is skipped in the second place.

Solution I tried: The best thing that I came up with is to subtract a certain amount of rows based on the previous number of values (ROW(1:1)-COUNTA($A$1:A1), for example), but the problem with this is that it will always return the first value. So then you would miss out on all the other points. -- Perhaps there is a way to inspect if the first place is an error, and if it is, to restart at 1 or if there is a way to inspect if the above came from the first place, and if it did to subtract from the ROW(1:1)? I am not sure how to set this up...

The only thing I can think at this point is to create a hidden sheet that uses two columns to collect all the data from the two places, then use a third column to compile the data into one place for the formula to search from.

Here is the actual formula that I am using, but if you were to do some testing, you would need to make adjustments, that is why I spelled it out above. (I know it is a mess, but I am planning to add named ranges once I get it working)

{=IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$C:$E$"&Z+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"")&IF(IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"")=""," ","; ")&IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$W$3:$W$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$W$3:$W$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"")&IF(ISNUMBER(IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$W$3:$W$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$W$3:$W$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(C$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(C$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Sam!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),""))," Days","")}

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi, it is extra long formula o_O

Please put data example using add-in specifically for this, you can find it can be found here XL2BB.
Pay attention to this post XL2BB 2 Squares

Upvote 0
Here is example:

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
O7:R12O7{=IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Z))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"")&IF(IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$C$3:$C$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Z))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"")=""," ","; ")&IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$W$3:$W$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$W$3:$W$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Z))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),"")&IF(ISNUMBER(IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$W$3:$W$"&Y+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Pending Start Date'!$T$3:$T$"&Y+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Y+3))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1),INDEX(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$W$3:$W$"&Z+3),SMALL(IF(IFERROR(YEAR(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=YEAR(O$2),IF(IFERROR(MONTH(INDIRECT("'Closed Roles'!$T$3:$T$"&Z+3)),0)=MONTH(O$2),ROW(INDIRECT("Jon!$C$3:$C$"&Z))-2)),ROW(1:1)),1)),""))," Days","")}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas surrounded with curly braces.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back