Drew

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,
What I'm trying to accomplish is finding the first unique parent in a de-normalized table (left to right view).

For example, take the following table parent/child table:

Cost Center -LeafCENTER_DESCLEVEL_01LEVEL_02LEVEL_03LEVEL_04LEVEL_05LEVEL_06LEVEL_07LEVEL_08
1234567cc1$$J$JA$JAB$JABC$JABCC$JABCCA1234567
2222222cc2$$J$JA$JAB$JABC$JABCD$JABCDA2222222
4444444cc3$$D$DA$DAA$DAAB444444444444444444444
7654321cc4$$D$DA$DAB7654321765432176543217654321

I've used recursive queries but only used on a normalized table so I can't get my head around how to approach this?

If using a recursive query to start the procedure is the best way, I just can't figure out how to fill based on the de-normalized view then weed it down to the result I need.

Overall goal:
I have to lookup a leaf id value (1st col) in the above table then figure out what level to apply a parent node at a unique level... the rows can vary up to 25k and the levels can go up to 11.
Say I was looking up 2222222, then the code would have to traverse through all 'like' parents until it becomes unique... so, in this case 2222222 and 1234567 have the same parent in level_01, level_02, level_03, level_04 and level_05 but differ at level_06 which is the result I'm looking for - looking up cost center 2222222 would result in $JABCD.
Likewise, if I was looking up 7654321, then code would have to traverse through 'like' parents... in this case 4444444 has have the same parent in level_01, level_02 and level_03 but differ at level_04 which is the result I'm after - looking up cost center 7654321 would result in $DAB.

Now, to even make it worse... there are instances where a cost center is unique (no other siblings in the hierarchy) so I would just want to see the result at Level_03.

Thanks,
Drew

Hi,

Just wondering how do you invoke your code. Please give me an example as I don't understand how to utilize the code provided above.

Biz

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
It's a function that returns a Collection that optionally takes input as a single value or a 1-Dimensional array or a 2D array consisting of either a single column or row . So something like

VBA Code:
Sub Example()

Dim Example_CLCTN As Collection

set Example_CLCTN =Drew_Hierarchy'returns collection for all values in column 1 on the active sheet
'or
Set Example_CLCTN =Drew_Hierarchy array(a,b,c,d)'returns collection for just these values........a,b,c,d must appear in column 1 or no value will be added to collection
'or
set Example_CLCTN =Drew_Hierarchy a    'same note as above

'Retrieving values from Collection
112=Example_ClCTN(key) 'where key is a value in Column 1 converted to a string  like cstr(112) if it isn't one already.

End Sub

Also I messaged Drew about a small addition that needed to be made for dealing with array inputs (I accidentally deleted it) so I'll add the amended code here.
Code:
Public Function Drew_Hierarchy(Optional ByVal Cost_Center As Variant) As Collection

Dim K As Long, Z As Long, NthLevel As Long, _
Main_CLCTN As New Collection, Output As New Collection, _
InputD() As Variant, Sub_R() As Variant, Comparison_Array() As Variant

Dim Total_Levels As Long, Column_1_Key As String, Min_Loop As Long, Max_Loop As Long, _
ARI() As Variant, Allow_Comparison As Boolean, Max_Level As Long

Total_Levels = 11

InputD = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Value2

ReDim Sub_R(1 To UBound(InputD, 2))

If Not IsMissing(Cost_Center) Then 'Convert input to an array if it isn't already

If IsArray(Cost_Center) Then 'If input is already an array then
                                 'Deterimine number of dimensions
        ARI=Cost_Center

On Error Resume Next

Do
            K = K + 1
            Z = LBound(ARI, K)
        Loop Until Err.Number <> 0

K = K - 1

On Error GoTo 0

Select Case True 'Do certain things for the number of dimensions present in the array

Case K = 1

Case K >= 2

If (UBound(ARI, 1) > 1 And UBound(ARI, 2) > 1 And K = 2) Or K > 2 Then 'if more than 2 rows of data then display message

MsgBox "Array inputs must be either a single row or column. Exiting Function Drew_Hierarchy."

Exit Function

ElseIf UBound(ARI, 1) = 1 Or UBound(ARI, 2) = 1 Then 'if eiter 1 row or 1 column

With Application

If UBound(ARI, 2) = 1 Then 'if only a single column

ARI = .Transpose(ARI)

ElseIf UBound(ARI, 1) = 1 Then 'transpose twice to get a 1D array

ARI = .Transpose(.Transpose(ARI))

End If

End With

End If

End Select

Else

ARI = Array(Cost_Center)

End If

End If

With Main_CLCTN

For K = 2 To UBound(InputD, 1)      'Skip headers in first row of used range and loop rows

For Z = 1 To UBound(InputD, 2)  'Splice current row of array into another array
            Sub_R(Z) = InputD(K, Z)
        Next Z

.Add Sub_R, CStr(Sub_R(1)) 'Place spliced array into collection and key with what is in column 1 of data on worksheet

Next K

If Not IsMissing(Cost_Center) Then
        Min_Loop = LBound(ARI)
        Max_Loop = UBound(ARI)
    Else
        Min_Loop = 1
        Max_Loop = .Count
    End If

For Z = Min_Loop To Max_Loop

If Not IsMissing(Cost_Center) Then 'If function is supplied with arguements then
                                           'only collection items that match those keys will be used for Comparison_Array
            On Error GoTo Key_Unknown

Comparison_Array = .ITEM(CStr(ARI(Z)))

On Error GoTo 0

Else                             'Otherwise all arrays within Main_CLCTN will eventually be used for Comparison_Array

Comparison_Array = .ITEM(Z)

End If

Column_1_Key = CStr(Comparison_Array(1)) 'Key is whatever is in Column 1 of data range

Max_Level = 0

For K = 1 To .Count

If Not IsMissing(Cost_Center) Then 'This conditional block ensures that the Comparison array isn't compared to itself

If Main_CLCTN(K)(1) <> ARI(Z) Then Allow_Comparison = True

ElseIf K <> Z Then

Allow_Comparison = True

End If

If Allow_Comparison = True Then

Sub_R = .ITEM(K)

For NthLevel = 3 To Total_Levels + 2 'Loop levels 1 through total levels.... offset by 2 since levels start in column 3

If NthLevel = Total_Levels + 2 And Sub_R(NthLevel) = Comparison_Array(NthLevel) Then

Max_Level = 0 'return 3rd Level . The above conditional is executed if there's a non-unique hierarchy
                        GoTo Exit_K_Loop

ElseIf Sub_R(NthLevel) <> Comparison_Array(NthLevel) Then 'If Level Hierarchies in both the Comparison_Array and the current array
                                                                          'from Main_CLCTN are different
                        If NthLevel > Max_Level Then Max_Level = NthLevel 'then update max_level if it's greater than recorded

Exit For 'Compare next array within Main_ClCtN to Comparison Array

End If

Next NthLevel

Allow_Comparison = False

End If

Next K

Exit_K_Loop:

If Max_Level = 0 Then Max_Level = 5 'return 3rd Level if unique or non-unique hierarchy

Output.Add Comparison_Array(Max_Level), Column_1_Key

Next_Loop_Z:

Next Z

End With

Set Drew_Hierarchy = Output

Exit Function

Key_Unknown:

Output.Add "Cost Center unavailable : " & ARI(Z), CStr(ARI(Z))

Resume Next_Loop_Z

End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back