Lock sheet after particular date

styler

Board Regular
Now, I've had a look at some other threads about this one and I need something slightly different and am not sure as to how to go about it.

After 25 March 2005, I would like anyone who opened a particular spreadsheet to be given a text box with something like 'this is an old version and has been replaced', then close with no option to do anything.
I also want (and I think this is the tricky bit), before 25 March 2005, people can open this spreadsheet with no problem and no prompt, but if they save it (with a different name), I want the lock feature to be taken off. So if they open it after 25 March, it will be ok.

The reason for this is I am developing a process for release and I just know that after a month of this being rolled out, it will need some tweaking. In any place I have worked it has always been a problem of people locally saving an often used sheet as a template, then not updating it when a new version is released.
I thought it would be nice to have one that locked out after a date, however, when someone fills it in and saves it with a different name, it then has to work forever.

Can it be done? I have read the below link with interest but it does not do what I want. I already have a text box appear when the document is opened stating some do's and dont's.

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=11526&highlight=lock+sheet+date

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
So, this is a tricky one then?

I am assuming that no-one can help me on this one?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back