Locked files on Office 98 Excel

gingersal

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.....
I have WindowsXP and Office98 and have saved a set of files from CD onto my hard-drive.
Up to a couple of days ago I could open and save the files fine but now all the files are coming up as locked for use by a previous user and are read-only.
This in itself is not the problem, the problem is that when i save the file under a new name to enable me to work in it ansd save, it wont let me delete or move the original file. I have tried everything i can think of (logging out and back in again etc), the files are not marked as 'read-only' in properties....
When I try to delete or move the original file it comes up with a message saying another program or person is using the file so unable to delete.

Any ideas? someone has suggested it may be a clash between XP and office98, or perhaps due to the files being downloaded from cd. HELP!!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Sounds like Excel has a lock on your file somehow. If it was an OS lock it would show up under properties - which it doesn't.

Have a look in the registry - search for the file name, this may turn something up.

Search for files which were saved on the same date as your sheet, one may be a lock file which Excel is using.

Appart from that I've no idea.

I do know people who have had loads of problems with XP mind you.

Upvote 0
Hi just to clear up something are you totally sure you have OFFICE 98 ???

This is MAC not windows version no 98 on windows, so do you mean office 97 or 2000 if so 97 was never designed to run on winXP and so you will always get agros sooner or later or some kind

NOW XP will be default mark all files read only its all part of data protectin, right click the file and select properties and see if read only ticked if so un tick it and press ok [also could be set o archive] now re open the file and see if thats helpped.

IS the file networked if so you might not have high enough rights to open that file as you do not own it if shared or networked...

HTH

Upvote 0
Sorry, my bad - its Office 2000........

Also, the read-only box is not checked in properties. The files were originally on a network but were then saved to CD and now saved onto my C drive.

The main problem is it seems to think all the files are in use by the previous user which obviously isnt the case because I'm not using them on any network......
This message was edited by gingersal on 2002-09-06 06:40

Upvote 0
I'm probably stating the obvious but if you are looking / editing in the registry be
VERY VERY careful.

I spent the best part of 3 hrs ediiting registry commands the other night to spoof Win 98 into thinking that it didn't have an Office 200 install after a corrupted install that didn't have all the uninstall information available.

It's not big, it's not clever and it's a REAL pain in the A**.

Good Luck.

DaveA

Upvote 0
There is no chance of me going anywhere near my registry - I have had a computer self-destruct when freeserve did nasty things to the registry so have learnt my lesson!
This message was edited by gingersal on 2002-09-06 07:35

Upvote 0
OK Stab in the dark.

Secondary copy in the Temp directory, from the initial copyover off of CD?

Re-Arrange for a well known phrase or Saying.

At Straws Clutching

Worth a go though.

DaveA

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back