Locked source file

Markhad

I have an excel doc that is full of data called source.xlsm. I have a number of other Excel docs (lets call one myfile.xlsm) that link to the data in source.xlsm. I linked to it via Data > GetData > FromFile > FromWorkbook then choosing the relevant table or sheet. All of the files are on a shared NAS drive. If both myfile.xlsm and source.xlsm are open on the same computer, all is right with the world. I can open, update, save as I choose with one or both of them open. However, if I open source.xlsm on one computer and myfile.xlsm is open on another computer, I cannot save source.xslm. It says it is being used by another user. It is not open anywhere, just being linked to for its data. If they're both on the same computer, then they're both fine to save at the same time. Is there a way around this as I want user to be able to open the various myfile.xlsm but I also want to be able to update the source.xlsm at the same time. Nobody else need open source.xlsm, just continue to use workbooks the link to it. I though that should be possible as the other user hasnt opened the file and the link is passive so the source file should not be locked?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
why not open source.xlsm as read only, which should avoid locking it

Upvote 0
I want the user to be able to open the referencing file on their pc and I want to be able to open and update the data in the source file on my pc. I thought the linking to the source file was passive and it wouldn’t lock the source file for editing. But it does.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back