Locking a row of cells after the last value in the row is entered

XrayLemi

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,
I am once again at your mercy. I will apologize up front that I cannot use XL2BB because it is blocked at work. I will have to cut and paste as needed. A person here helped me with my original problem and the solution was fantastic. I'm hoping to find help again as I am WAY out of my league. Image "XL shot 2" is a look at my sheet.
The code in image "XL shot 4" was written under the worksheet to prevent people from cheating. It prevents entering data in cells in column H until data in Column G is entered. If the user then deletes the data in column G the cell in column H is deleted. The code in the workbook section (image XL shot 3) automatically locks the sheets in the workbook when the file is saved and closed. Everything works wonderful!

I now need to add some additional protection. once data is entered in columns B-K I need that corresponding row locked. I also need to give users a warning when the last cell "K" is entered. When the person answers yes, cells B-K in that row are locked. If they answer no, they can edit data in that row until they finally answer yes.
I have tried to copy, paste then manipulate code from different places (Youtube etc.) with limited luck. On separate sheets I can get single cells to lock / warn but not multiple cells at the same time. Also even if I get the additional code to work, I cannot make it work in conjunction with the code that already exists. I would paste the codes I tried but this post would be way longer than it already is.
Thank you in advance
Jim Lemieux

Attachments

• XL shot 2.png
    XL shot 2.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 22
  • XL shot 3.png
    XL shot 3.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
  • XL shot 4.png
    XL shot 4.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 20
So I did as you told me. Now I get a new compile error. It also does something funny with the original code. column H should remain locked until the value in G is entered. Now H remains locked and cannot be used.

Attachments

• 1586695633222.png
    1586695633222.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Why have you deleted End Sub ?
Please take a bit more care. VBA does not forgive!

Every Sub must finish with End Sub
Every Function must finish with End Function

Place line below immediately above the line beginning Private Function ....
VBA Code:
End Sub

Upvote 0
Sorry Yongle, It's weird. I noticed that when I pasted the code before end sub as you had said, sometimes the program would automatically delete the end sub line. I tried several times and thought I finally got it right. Looks like I still messed it up. Anyway, I added the end sub where you said to now I get a different compile error. I'm learning fast how unforgiving VBA is. Sorry I know I'm driving you nuts.
Jim

Attachments

• 1586714581157.png
    1586714581157.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
The rule is ...
- For each Sub (or Private Sub) ONE End Sub
- For each Function (or Private Function) ONE End Function

(No more pictures) Post your code for me like this (all the code)
Click on <vba/> and paste your code between the code tags

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi again Yongle. I had moved (I think) the codes to where you asked me to. I still get an error as shown in the image I copied. I can enter values in the cells, But I get an error with each entry. Also Even when all the column values are entered column H still remains locked. You had asked in an earlier posting to post my vba code differently. I hope I did this right. Here is the latest
Thank you again
Jim
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim r As Range, c As Range
  Set r = Range("G6:G5000")
  Set r = Intersect(Target, r)
  If r Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

Application.EnableEvents = False

For Each c In r
    Select Case True
      Case 7 = c.Column 'G
        If c.Value = "" Then
          Cells(c.Row, "H").Value = ""
          Cells(c.Row, "H").Locked = True
          Else
          Cells(c.Row, "H").Locked = False
        End If
      Case Else
    End Select
  Next c

Application.EnableEvents = True

If Not Intersect(Target.Cells(1, 1), Range("B6").Resize(Rows.Count - 6, Columns.Count - 1)) Is Nothing Then
        If Not IsLocked(Cells(Target.Row, "B").Resize(, 10)) Then
            If Cells(Target.Row, "K") <> "" Then
                If MsgBox("YES to Lock Row " & Target.Row, vbYesNo, "") = vbYes Then Cells(Target.Row, "B").Resize(, 10).Locked = True
            End If
        End If
    End If
Private Function IsLocked(xRng As Range) As Boolean
    Dim Cel As Range
    IsLocked = True
    For Each Cel In xRng
        If Not Cel.Locked Then
            IsLocked = False
            Exit For
        End If
    Next Cel
End Function
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    If Target.Row > 6 And Target.Column = 2 Then
        Cancel = True
        Target.Offset(-1).Copy: Target.PasteSpecial (xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats)
        Application.CutCopyMode = False
    End If
End Sub

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Hi Yongle,
I know you haven't replied to my last post but that's ok. I have bigger problems and I need to change things before I can work on this. some of the changes will directly affect this.
Thanks for the help,
Jim Lemieux

Upvote 0
Thanks for letting me know - I will not look at this further
With the changes that you plan, I suggest that if you need some further help then begin a new thread to avoid any confusion

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back