Locking borders

sebds70

Is it popssible to lock the borders so that they are not removed or recreated elsewhere when I copy and paste or drag cells?

They need to actually be fixed in themselves rather than just using a method of pasting that does not interfere as the table I have created will have to be passed on to others who will want to change values/formulas

Thanks

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Sorry but can you clarify that somewhat. When yous ay borders do you mean the borders applied using Format / cells / Border? If so then if you copy those cells you will automatically get the borders copied with them and need to lose them by using a paste special method.

Now that having been said, if you are talking about for example a border around a block of cells, and not borders inside the block then this is possible. Almost any border you see on a sheet has two sides to it, and you can apply a border to either side, eg

The border between cells A2 and A3. This can EITHER be a bottom border applied to cell A2, OR a top border applied to cell A3, OR you could apply it to both.

So to answer your question, assuming you had the range B10:D20, if you actually selected that range and applied a border, then copying that range will take the border with it. If however, you apply a border to

The bottom of B9:D9
The right of A10:A20
The top of B21:D21
The left of E10:E20

You will see the same as before, BUT, you can now copy the range B10:D20 and you will not be copying the borders as well.

Like I said though, if you have borders in between then you're out of luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back