Locking cells to everyone but programmer

SlinkRN

Is there a way to protect some cells even when sheet is "unprotected"? I've created a template that many different staff will be entering input with different levels of access. I would like supervisors to have the ability to change any cells except for the headings and formulas etc. and staff to be able to change only their specific 2 rows of cells. I've password protected the staff cells individually, and I figure the supervisors can just unprotect the sheet to change anything that staff put in. My problem is that once the sheet is unprotected, the supervisors may erase a formula or constant cell by mistake. Any ideas? Can a userrange have 2 passwords?
This message was edited by SlinkRN on 2002-11-12 15:33

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi Slink.
A method I use on one of my workbooks in which I found it neccesary to offer different levels of permission involves a lot of footwork but it was worth it in my case. I have a large workbook with a ton of functionality which offers three levels of permissions. The workbook and individual sheets are password protected and user permission level never changes this. Only the developer should ever unprotect the workbook. What you do is create user range profiles for each defined profile. I only have three for this particular workbook, but it is possible to customize permissions for each individual user if you like. How you do it is simple. Record all range addresses which will be unlocked for each level of protection. I wrote a small utility which allows you to select your ranges and then saves to a text file. You can then load this profile based upon the range addresses and unlock the same to give different levels of access based upon whatever criteria such as passwords and/or usernames, time of day, day of the week, ect...
If this sounds like a road you might want to take, I'll reply with a bit more if you need it.
tom

Upvote 0
Yes, that sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Each RN would have their own password to enter into their own lines of cells and the supervisors would have a password that allowed them to change any of the RNs entries if necessary. I'm not an expert at Excel though, is it extremely complicated?

Upvote 0
Hi SlinkRN.
If you'd like, simply send the workbook and I'll tidy it up for you and you can teach yourself from the code in the workbook. Make all cells in which you want your RN's to have access.(I believe you said it was only two columns?) Make those cells a specific color for myself to know which cells will be unlocked. Do the same for your level 2 permission for your supervisors. My email is located at the bottom of the screen.
tom

Upvote 0
Tom, I have been looking at the "Tools-Protection-Allow Users to Edit Ranges. I select a range, click on permissions, but when I try to enter usernames it says, "An object named "John Smith" cannot be found. Is there a way I can link the permissions to a hidden worksheet that gives permission to about 4 people who would have access to all input cells? It seems like Excel has a tool made for what I want - but I don't know how to use it.

Upvote 0
Hi Slink.
It seems to me that you may have XP which I think gives you the ability to protect individual ranges? I have 2000 and have no experience with the new goodies that come with 10.0
tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back