'Locking down' spreadsheets

RachelN76

Sorry - probably not the best terminology in the title, but I haven't had my first coffee yet!

I just wondered how those of you who work with spreadsheets that are edited by multiple users go on.

I am our office's unofficial Excel expert (even though I am VERY far from expert). And I make the spreadsheets, that are then used by 5-6 people. These 5-6 people vary in ability from 'more than averagely competent', to 'not entirely sure what a mouse is'.

So I put in bits of validation here and there, but generally try to keep it as light as possible. Eg some cells ask for a date. The header will say 'Date of consent' - but some people will insist on putting in things like "might speak to her next time she comes to clinic". This is not a date. This messes me up. So I have put validation on those cells so they can only be dates. Some cells can only be things from a certain list etc.

But how far do I go? We have one where column K-N all have to be a date, or blanks.
If column K has a date in it, then at some point L or M or N also have to have a date. But only one of those. I think this is all blatantly obvious from the headers, but every time I look at it, someone has put a date in every single column, so I don't know what they mean.

So I'm thinking of now adding validation to that as well. But for various reasons our spreadsheets always end up quite big and clunky anyway (probably in no small part due to my lack of knowledge about neat ways to do stuff), and I'm just worried that if I add validation to virtually every cell then this will just compound the problem.

How do others manage?
Loads of validation, or do I just need to hit my (absolutely lovely) colleagues around the head a bit?!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
for illustration purposes assume ....
Column L = date of Birth
Column M = date of Marriage
Column N = date of Death

Instead of 3 date columns above (ie your current layout) , consider using 2 columns ...
Column L = dropdown where user selects either Birth, Marriage or Death
Column M = date

ONE date entered confusion avoided :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you might want to look at tracking worksheet changes and identify who is causing you the problem, a little education would remove most of the issues you suffer

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back