Locking/Splitting Columns in Excel is not Working

Haunz10

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am trying to lock one half of my sheet (columns A thru J) while the rest of the columns/rows can be scrolled through. I clicked right of the last column that I wanted to lock and selected freeze panes and nothing changed except a gray line now appearing. I also tried splitting the sheet and that didn't accomplish anything either. Splitting and freezing work horizontally on rows on the same sheet but not vertical on columns for some reason.

Any idea what's going here and how I can address it?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Locking the columns simply means those columns will always be visible if you scroll across to the right, the same way that locking a row means it's visible if you scroll down.
AFAIK there is no way to keep 10 columns static whilst being able to scroll vertically on the rest of the sheet.

Upvote 0
Locking the columns simply means those columns will always be visible if you scroll across to the right, the same way that locking a row means it's visible if you scroll down.
AFAIK there is no way to keep 10 columns static whilst being able to scroll vertically on the rest of the sheet.
Yeah, that makes sense now that you say it. Well it would be a cool feature if it was an option.

Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
One possible way to approach this might be to open a new window (View tab, Window panel, New Window button), hide any sheets you don't want to see on it, set the view of cells you want... it will then remain that way while you can scroll the other window all you want. You can split columns independently on the two windows, so you might be able to achieve what you want using this idea.

Upvote 0
One possible way to approach this might be to open a new window (View tab, Window panel, New Window button), hide any sheets you don't want to see on it, set the view of cells you want... it will then remain that way while you can scroll the other window all you want. You can split columns independently on the two windows, so you might be able to achieve what you want using this idea.
Thank you for the recommendation. That is a helpful way to do things while I analyze the data. I had hoped that I could split things so when my analysis was checked it would be easy for other individuals to reference my comments and takeaways while scrolling down to look at the data. Its by no means a necessity for me but your tip will be a helpful tool for me in the future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back