Log Volume formula Hoppus.

Dans Issues

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Does anyone know how to construct a formula to calculate log volume in m3?

Length ~ mid-diameter = log volume (m3) under bark

length 2.4m 72cm mid = 0.977m3

m³ via diameter = mid-diameter in cm² x length in meters x 0,000061685 – rounded to the three decimal points
or
m³ via girth = (mid-girth in cm / 4)² x length in meters / 10,000 – rounded to three decimal points.

=(A5/4)2*B5/10000

1646032851487.png

I have tried to use the Superscript but the 2 does not want to work...

Any takers?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Does anyone know how to construct a formula to calculate log volume in m3?

Length ~ mid-diameter = log volume (m3) under bark

length 2.4m 72cm mid = 0.977m3

m³ via diameter = mid-diameter in cm² x length in meters x 0,000061685 – rounded to the three decimal points
or
m³ via girth = (mid-girth in cm / 4)² x length in meters / 10,000 – rounded to three decimal points.

=(A5/4)2*B5/10000

View attachment 58896

I have tried to use the Superscript but the 2 does not want to work...

Any takers?

Thanks
when you say "I have tried to use the Superscript but the 2 does not want to work.." what do you mean by doesnt want to work.??

Upvote 0
I think you're asking how to square a number? If that's the case, then you use the carat ^ symbol (above the 6) followed by the power. So your formula would look like:

Excel Formula:
=(A5/4)^2*B5/10000

Upvote 0
Solution
I know virtually nothing about calculating log volumes. However, this description of the calculation does not produce 0.977 for your sample data.

Here is the calculation.

22 02 28.xlsm
ABC
4Girth (cm)Length (m)Volume (m3)
Log Volume
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C5C5=ROUND((A5/4)^2*B5/10000,3)

This calculation makes no sense at all to me. Diameter is a measure of length so expressing it in CM2 makes no sense.

Upvote 0
which log scale rule are you using?? they all seem to produce slightly differing results.
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsVermont0.62 m³
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsDoyle0.69 m³
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsScribner0.68 m³
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsHuber0.98 m³

Upvote 0
If you are expecting the result to be 0.977m3 then it must be Hubers (or the irish log formula) you need to use.
It is the same as the volume of a cylinder which is (pi*r^2)*h or area * height. As you have the girth/circumference you need to backword calculate the radius and then put into the formaula. It can be shortened considerably to accepted industry formula below assuming that A5 contains your Mid-Diameter in centimeters & B5 your length in meters
Excel Formula:
=(A5^2)*B5*0.00007854

Last edited:
Upvote 0
which log scale rule are you using?? they all seem to produce slightly differing results.
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsVermont0.62 m³
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsDoyle0.69 m³
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsScribner0.68 m³
72 cm2.4 m1 pcsHuber0.98 m³
Huber, Thanks for the above, would you then know how to add an additional formular to remove the bark if the diameter is over bark?

Here how it is removed. for every 100mm of diameter 10mm is removed for an underbark measurement. This deduction continues unto 700mm, after that (>700mm) you continue to remove 70mm. I have tried to make this formular

for mm's and cm's
when you say "I have tried to use the Superscript but the 2 does not want to work.." what do you mean by doesn't want to work.??
Every time I highlighted the 2 in the formular to reduce to superscript it would not do it, however if i put the 2 in a different cell and made it in to superscript it worked. "This could be the user"

Upvote 0
Huber, Thanks for the above, would you then know how to add an additional formular to remove the bark if the diameter is over bark?

Here how it is removed. for every 100mm of diameter 10mm is removed for an underbark measurement. This deduction continues unto 700mm, after that (>700mm) you continue to remove 70mm. I have tried to make this formular

for mm's and cm's

Every time I highlighted the 2 in the formular to reduce to superscript it would not do it, however if i put the 2 in a different cell and made it in to superscript it worked. "This could be the user"
why do you need to reduce the 2 in the formula? IT doesnt need to be for the formula to work.
Huber is an overbark formula. Are you saying you require an underbark formula as well.?

Upvote 0
why do you need to reduce the 2 in the formula? IT doesn't need to be for the formula to work.
Huber is an overbark formula. Are you saying you require an underbark formula as well.?
I thought the 2 needed to be reduced, thanks for the advice.
Yes id like to now how to formulate an underbark calculation from a over bark reading. If you can help I would very much appreciate it. see the above for a description on how we removes bark bark from a over bark reading.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back