Logic for an Infrastructure Project

sdm100

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am working on a maths problem for a bulk liquid business idea and I am trying to find a compelling way to show a solution in Excel.

The business would consider buying storage units for liquid product and this storage is very expensive and I am looking to find the smallest amount of storage that the business can get away with, without ever completely filling up the storage units (as then the factory would have to shutdown). The product is taken from the storage by trucks, an average truck lifts 23 MT of liquid at a time.

Production from the factory is averages 275 tonnes a day...however it is volatile with a max of 550 MT and sometimes it is offline for other reasons.

The plan would be to schedule truck liftings basis the average which would be (275/23) = 12 (rounded) trucks a day (365) and it would take 2 business days to adjust the amount of required trucks up or down to take into account peaks / dips in production.

A quote to build 2500 tonnes of storage proved sub-economic, so I would like the number to be closer to 1000 tonnes, but I need an algorithm to prove that the factory will be able to operate 365 without interruption.

Does anyone have any ideas on a smart way to show the solution? Ideally visually so that I can use that in my answer to justify a capital investment for the project?

Thanks!
Sean

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi Sean,

The facility size required will depend on Buffer stock. If you need only two days of buffer stock for regular shipping, you will need a maximum storage capacity of 1020 MT (275*2 buffer stock plus 235 * 2 overproduction until additional trucks are arranged ).

1626650047641.png

Kind regards

Saba

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back