Logically comparing cells that are in two separate .xls file

dbmathis

I have one cell:

C:\Documents and Settings\David B. Mathis\My Documents\Cash Flow Statements\Cash Flow.xls

Cell J63

=IF(COUNT(H41:H45)=0,(H74+H77)-(cleared+SUM(H50:H60)),IF(COUNT(H41:H45)=1,(H74+H41+H77)-(cleared+SUM(H50:H60)),IF(COUNT(H41:H45)=2,(H74+H41+H42+H77)-(cleared+SUM(H50:H60)),IF(COUNT(H41:H45)=3,(H74+H41+H42+H43+H77)-(cleared+SUM(H50:H60)),IF(COUNT(H41:H45)=4,(H74+H41+H42+H43+H44+H77)-(cleared+SUM(H50:H60)),IF(COUNT(H41:H45)=5,(H74+H41+H42+H43+H44+H45+H77)-(cleared+SUM(H50:H60)),0))))))

It's value is 297.14

and....

The other cell:

='C:\Documents and Settings\David B. Mathis\My Documents\Transaction Registers\[Transaction Register Starting Aug-15-2002 Draft.xls]Transaction Register'!M24

This cells value is 297.14

My problem is when I use the following formula in the Cash Flow.xls I keep getting FALSE.

=IF(J63='C:\Documents and Settings\David B. Mathis\My Documents\Transaction Registers\[Transaction Register Starting Aug-15-2002 Draft.xls]Transaction Register'!M24,"Balanced","Not Balanced")

The result is Not Balanced?

The value of J63 and M24 are both 297.14?

Should not the above formula evaluate to TRUE?

Does the fact that I am performing a logical evaulation across two files effect the outcome?

I need help please.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Yes, It is open.

Although it updated the value regardess of being open or closed.

Upvote 0
If either value is calculated, it is probable that the underlying values are not equal. You are displaying to two decimals, but the cell values go well beyound two decimals, so they only LOOK like they are equal.

You might need to ROUND both values to two decimals to make them equal.

Upvote 0
Thankz Don... That fixed it.

I had thought about that but I was dealing with even money values and couldn't see a reason for the value to go beyond two decimals..

Apparently I was wrong :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back