Lokkup Issue

skully43

As mentioned previously I am attempting to put together a spreadsheet to automate the process of scoring in a football prediction competition I am running. I am no Excel expert so forgive my ignorance. My first task as I see it is to enter in a league table and then perform a lookup on this table to see where team Acctually are compared to where people predicted they would finish.

I have columm A in my spreadsheet which lists the current positions of each team that is listed i columm B so the first forumal I have used is thus
=LOOKUP("Arsenal",B3:B22,A3:A22) if Arsenal were in position 2 I would expect this to return the number that is in the position collum in this case Arsenal is in cell B4 and A4 contains the number 2 it does. However above that I have Chelsea in collum B2 and the number 1 in A2 but still the forumla returns the number 2 can someone explain where I am going wrong?

thanks

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
A little confused so If you lookup Arsenal, you want 2 or 1? Isn't still supposed to return 2:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back