Longer If Formulas

davethearchitect

I am trying to use the If formula to varify values but I have more then 7 functions. I know there is a way to get more then 7. If someone could help me I would be greatly thankful

Dave

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hello Dave,

If you reach the limit of 7 nested IFs then normally it's time to investigate using another function or functions, possibly some sort of LOOKUP. Can you describe what you want to achieve?

Upvote 0
In an IF formula, you can only next up to 7 levels.

If you have more, than using IF probably isn't the best tool to be using anyway. Something like a VLOOKUP formula would probably be more appropriate.

If you explain your problem in a bit more detail, someone would probably be able to help you construct an efficient solution to your problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me so fast, what i am trying to do is:

If Cell A2 = (cell named Beds) then put in a price from another spreedsheet tab. buf if Cell A2 = (cell named Plants) then....

=IF(D22=Beds,'Front Price and Qty'!J39,IF(D22=Plants,'Front Price and Qty'!J236,"")) and so on

So D22 is a drop down and i pick which category i want to put on my invoice and if i chose beds for D22, then it will automatically take the price from my pricing page. so i have about 20-30 different categories.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is a VLOOKUP.

If you have a dropdown cell that is based on a list you could list the prices in the next column (or use a formula in the next column to get the price from elsewhere).

E.g. if you have categories listed in B2:B30 and prices in C2:C30

=VLOOKUP(D22,B2:C30,2,0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back