Look up code / formula

sjchurcher

Hi all,

First time poster here - site was recommended to me!

So, I have a log of hundreds of contracts which is set up with the external company name in column C, then all of our company names in columns F - S. The contract is logged by a Y being entered in to the column that related to the name of our company which has signed the agreement with the external party. (Tried to show below)

What I need to be able to do is have excel look for a Y in columns that relate only to one of our companies (for example column K) then copy the data in that row to another spreadsheet.

I've been told this may need coding rather than a formula, can anyone help?

Thank you

DateExternalOtherOtherCo1Co2Co3Co4Co5Co6Co7Co8Co9Co10OtherOtherOtherOtherOther
01/04/17Name 1YRSNS

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You could certainly do that with VBA but there's also a simpler way if you're prepared to add an extra column:

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
1DateExternalOtherOtherCo1Co2Co3Co4Co5Co6Co7Co8Co9Co10Co11Co12Co13Co14Copy?
201/04/2017Name 1YRSNSTRUE
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
T2=IFERROR(FIND("Y",CONCAT(F2:S2))>0,FALSE)

Column T then indicates whether this row should be copied. You can then apply a filter to the data where column T is "TRUE" and simply copy/paste the visible rows.

WBD

Upvote 0
Thank you - the problem I have is it can't involved a manual copy and paste because it's not only me that uses the spreadsheet and there are some members of the team who I know wouldn't copy and paste. Trying to automate it as far as possible

Upvote 0
OK. They'll still need to invoke the macro though; how are you planning to get them to do that? Are the values copied to a new sheet in the same workbook or a different workbook? Do you want to use an existing sheet/workbook or create a new one?

WBD

Upvote 0
I can manage a macro - I can run it daily if I ever think it hasn't been updated.

It will be copied in to a new sheet in the same workbook, I have one created with basic headers etc, but can be deleted if easier to create from new

Upvote 0
OK. It's a simple macro. Some final questions so I get it right:

1. What's the name of the sheet you're copying from?
2. What's the name of the sheet you're copying to?
3. Do you want to copy the entire row? If not, what columns?
4. Once copied, what do you want to do with the row to prevent it from being copied again?

WBD

Upvote 0
thank you.

1. NDAs
2. PLC NDAs
3. Columns B,C,D,E,T,U,V,W,X
4. Ideally the row needs to stay in the original document - can it be locked? Or what other options might there be?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back