Look up data from PowerPivot table outside of pivot table

domtrump

Board Regular
So here is what I need to do: I have a pivot table which I created from a powerpivot table (Excel 2010). It has the customer's account number in the first column. In the last column of the report, after all of the measures, I need to list the customer's sales rep. Obviously, a pivot table will not allow me to add dimension column at the END of the report, so what I do with a normal pivot table is put a column to the right, outside of the pivot table, and just do a vlookup to get the sales rep.

However, the table that powerpivot creates does not appear to be a named range in the excel workbook itself so I cannot reference it in the vlookup. Is there some kind of DAX magic or GETDATA that will allow me to reference the powerpivot table and lookup the sales rep from the customer number? Any other suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks.

Sample:
Excel Workbook
STUVWXYZAAABAC
6Pivot Table*********Outside Pivot Table
7ACCT #20152014Var20152014Var20152014VarRepLName
83866937*234,765* *54,009*180,756* * 4,028* * 1,159* * 2,869* *21,430* *(4,271)* *25,701JOE SMITH
95042761**148,950(148,950)** * 2,234* *(2,234)** (22,375)* *22,375JOHN SMITH
101257374**180,820(180,820)** * 2,712* *(2,712)** (20,420)* *20,420BOB SMITH

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Depending on the complexity of your pivot table, perhaps you can build it with a DAX Table Query. From that approach you can add most any related column in any order. There are limitations such as no slicers, but I use this approach quite often. Speed is a bonus. Especially for large/wide tables a DAX Table Query will run laps around a (power) pivot table. For an example see TinyLizards blog: DAX Table Query Example | Power Pivot | Tiny Lizard

Upvote 0
Depending on the complexity of your pivot table, perhaps you can build it with a DAX Table Query. From that approach you can add most any related column in any order. There are limitations such as no slicers, but I use this approach quite often. Speed is a bonus. Especially for large/wide tables a DAX Table Query will run laps around a (power) pivot table. For an example see TinyLizards blog: DAX Table Query Example | Power Pivot | Tiny Lizard

Looks like it only works in 2013 so I'm probably going to have to find another approach to use with 2010. Thanks for the info - I'll check it out.

-Dom

Upvote 0
You could always create a measure that returns the Sales Rep as text.
A table relating sales reps to accounts would need to be added to the Data Model.

Then you could use something like

Sales Rep measure := IF( HASONEVALUE( RELATED(Lookuptable[Sales Rep]) ), RELATED(Lookuptable[Sales Rep]) )

Upvote 0
You could always create a measure that returns the Sales Rep as text.
A table relating sales reps to accounts would need to be added to the Data Model.

Then you could use something like

Sales Rep measure := IF( HASONEVALUE( RELATED(Lookuptable[Sales Rep]) ), RELATED(Lookuptable[Sales Rep]) )

but that wouldn't allow me to put the data to the right of the pivot table??

Upvote 0
As long as you define Sales Rep as a measure, it can be added as the rightmost value field in the pivot table after all your numeric measures.

Sorry wasn't thinking with my use of RELATED...the important part of the measure should be something like IF( HASONEVALUE([Sales rep]), VALUES([Sales rep]) )

Upvote 0
For extra clarity here... the learning is that measures can return text. Your other options is just convert the pivot table to cube formulas and break free of the constrains of pivot tables...

Upvote 0
So (I'm very new to DAX), what is the syntax of the measure? Where does the IF statement you suggested go?

Upvote 0
I entered the formula: Rep Code:=IF( HASONEVALUE([REP]), VALUES([REP]) ). REP is the name of the column that contains the sales rep. I get the following error:

The value for 'REP' cannot be determined. Either 'REP' doesn't exist, or there is no current row for a column named 'REP'

Where am I going wrong?

Upvote 0
Include the table name before rep and it should work. e.g. MyTable[REP]
Probably safest to include table name whenever referencing a column (sorry left this off my example before).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back