Look up Last Date Attended and return date (column header) without VBA

TeacherGriff

I keep attendance records in my gradebook in a separate sheet. The date of attendance is in the columns (with the specific day's date in row 2) and the students' attendance is recorded with either a 1 (absent) or 0 (present) in the column starting in column D for the first day of class, so that I can record the number of absences by using a simple total calculation across a student's attendance row.

I use a separate sheet in the workbook to give me an "Individual Student View" so that I can discuss grades with my student without them being able to see the other students' grade information.

What I need is a formula for the "Individual Student View" sheet that, given the student's name (which is recorded in column A and B, Last name and First name) will look at the "Attendance Roster" sheet, find the student by their name in columns A and B, find the last 0 in that row, and return the date for that row-by-column location in the column header in row 2 - their last date attended.

So, for example, if John Smith has their last 0 in column F, the formula should return "2/20/16."

The area that contains the students' names is A3:B37; their attendance information is located in D3:S37; the area that contains the dates is D2:S2.

Any help appreciated. This is an .xlsx file, and there are certain functions that I need which only work if it's .xlsx, so I need a non-VBA solution.

I am using Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011, v. 14.6.1; and Mac OS X 10.11.3, if that matters.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
TeacherGriff,

Not sure how this fits with Excel for Mac2011 but is ok Excel 2007

For ease or reading I have defined some named ranges

Dates = D2:S2 LastName = A3:A37 FirstName = B3:B37 Attends = D3:S37

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS
2LastFirst18/0219/0220/0221/0222/0223/0224/0225/0226/0227/0228/0229/0201/0302/0303/0304/03
3ThumbTom00000010
4FlintstoneFred00011001
5MouseMickey00011111
Attendance Roster

Try the following Array (CSE) formula...
Excel Workbook
ABC
2LastFirstLast Attend
3FlintstoneFred24/02/2016
ISV

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back