Look up last entry with specific header.

jtakw

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Haven't worked on Excel for over a year and have gotten rusty, if someone may help me with a formula, I'd really appreciate it.

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1ApplesOrangesPearsBananasGrapesApplesOrangesPearsBananasGrapesApplesOrangesPearsBananasGrapes

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Using the above sample, what I need is a formula that will give me the most recent entry under the Category "Bananas", in this case, the result should be "199".
This is a stripped down and simplified version of my actual data, and is a monthly growing list, so the formula should always give me the most recent entry as the list grows.

Thank you very much in advance.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Is the most recent the first non-zero (non-blank) from left to right or from right to left?

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From left to right, the list will grow monthly with more columns added (i.e. P, Q, R, S, etc.) with the same header repetition.
Please let me know if that clarifies your question.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter. not just enter:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH("bananas",IF(ISNUMBER(A2:O2),A1:O1)),A2:O2)

Upvote 0
Thank you Aladin, works perfect.

I originally was trying to get it to work with Sumproduct and Lookup, but couldn't get it work; your array formula works perfect, just to satisfy my curiosity, could it have worked with Sumproduct and Lookup?

Thank you Marcelo also.

Upvote 0
Thank you Aladin, works perfect.

Glad to help.

I originally was trying to get it to work with Sumproduct and Lookup, but couldn't get it work; your array formula works perfect, just to satisfy my curiosity, could it have worked with Sumproduct and Lookup? [...]

The task here requires a retrieval formula. While LOOKUP is a retrieval function, SUMPRODUCT is not. Also, the regular use of LOOKUP requires an array/a range sorted in ascending order. So the regular usage won't do combined with SUMPRODUCT which does pairwise multiplications whose results are summed. Not a desirable combination. The short answer is thus no.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your explanation, it makes sense why I wasn't getting the correct results with Sumproduct/Lookup.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back